Homeschooling Moms

bluerooffarm
Homeschool held hostage...
May 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I read this today and I thought I would share it.  I know many of you are not Christian homeschoolers and it is VERY clear that this woman is, however the message still resonates with me.  We cannot allow our homeschool to be absolutely school-at-home.  We have to much more we can do and offer to our kids.  It's a great reminder that we do this for our kids to have MORE.  More of us, more attention, more activities, more geared to them....just more!

http://heidistjohn.com/blog/2013/02/11/homeschooling-held-hostage/

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Very thought provoking

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

just read it, it was a good article, but theres also nothing wrong with moms and kids that want to do school the public school way at home, maybe it works for them! so glad theres no laws saying we have to teach a certain way or homeschool a certain way!

• debramommyof4
    May 16, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I agree.  We are going to try a new approach next year.  It will be interesting and very much hands on.  What I have wanted for awhile.  But we will see how the kids take to it.

Quoting oredeb:

just read it, it was a good article, but theres also nothing wrong with moms and kids that want to do school the public school way at home, maybe it works for them! so glad theres no laws saying we have to teach a certain way or homeschool a certain way!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I was determined that our homeschool would look nothing like school & it doesn't! Heck most of the time it closely resembles a summer vacation day!

• bluerooffarm
    May 16, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Quoting oredeb:

I totally agree.  I just worry about those that are aiming for an absolute (absolutely school at home in their desks 5-6 hours each day or absolutely no "school" just go with the flow).  They seem to be burning out.  It's a nice reminder that they can take a day off (or 2 or 3!) and just breathe. Or we can take a few days and follow a tight schedule like fractions boot-camp!  HAHA

I actually wish the laws, and let's face it, the expectations of the culture were a little more lax in regards to homeschooling.  (I'm in Pa which is pretty tough)

• bluerooffarm
    May 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Quoting usmom3:

I was determined that our homeschool would look nothing like school & it doesn't! Heck most of the time it closely resembles a summer vacation day!

Your ideas are always cool!  I really like to hear "unschool" ways of doing things.  I especially love the time you take to "strew" things through the house!  It helps me remember to relax and take another approach sometimes.

• hipmomto3
    May 16, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Interesting. I do always feel like I'm trying to find a balance. I vacillate between feeling that we aren't doing nearly enough book-work, and feeling like we aren't doing nearly enough hands-on, free play. Both have their place and time, and the struggle for me is keeping both in check. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 16, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Your ideas are always cool!  I really like to hear "unschool" ways of doing things.  I especially love the time you take to "strew" things through the house!  It helps me remember to relax and take another approach sometimes.

Thanks I want to help others find learning fun & interesting as much as I want my kids to find it that way!

• TJandKarasMom
    May 16, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    That was great, I needed to hear that and I'm not even hsing yet, lol. Thanks for sharing.
  • Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    May 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I like that, even though the reasons i homeschool are not religious, I still feel as though He wants us to know: Hey I want you to enjoy life, not feel burdened by its demands to meet the worlds expectations.  Anyway, thanks!

Homeschooling Moms