Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
How about sports, activities and clubs?
May 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Do your children participate in sports, activities, clubs and organizations at the public schools? Or do they participate in local organizations like rec centers and little leagues?

Replies

• SusanTheWriter
    May 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

The one who is IN public school has done drama and track this year.

My DD is homeschooled and the only thing she's done with ps this year is Driver's Ed. All of her extra activities are either done through the community and/or through various homeschool groups. Our district superintendent is not a supporter of homeschooling, so we haven't bothered trying to do extracurriculars through the school. No need to rock that boat.

• No_Difference
    May 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Where I am, homeschooled kids can not join public school activities. That said - my kids do the summer swim team through our rec center (Practice starts the last week of this month - can't wait!). Next school year my daughter will hopefully be doing dance. We have to somehow get a copy of my son's birth certificate (we never recieved one after he was born) and then he'll be able to do T-ball next year, and we have to remember to sign up way ahead of time to avoid rediculous costs... It's not run through our rec department, but by interest of families around here apparently... It didn't make sense to me. All I know, this area does not have official baseball teams through the counties. (I'm a little leery of the season starting in Feburary tho :/)

Both hopefully will be in scouts soon. My little guy has a few more years before he can join, but I finally found contact info to get my daughter in girl scouts that is not affiliated through the local schools. She'll get put into which ever troop has room, instead of us being told, "your shool doesn't have room for her, and since you're new, we're just going to drop her."

• Jinx-Troublex3
    May 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Mine are all required to do sports for PE. I require them to do something at least 2x a week for an hour each. My younger two do gymnastics. My oldest and I do karate.

The boys both are in Boy Scouts.

DD is enrolled with GS but I can't find a leader I can tolerate. I am too OCD about things being done properly and not just "giving awards away". They need to be earned.

My kids are all involved with Antlers, a service organization through the Elks lodge.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM

We have a great homeschool sports organization so that no homeschooler in our aria has to use the public schools for those kinds of activity's.

• bluerooffarm
    May 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We participate in local leagues and our "local" homeschooling group.  My boys play soccer with the Mountain Area Ball League.  They take an art class (2x's/month) at the Art Center in the next town (with our homeschool group) and that group puts on plays 1 weekend a month.  My boys are too young to be big in the plays yet, but we go see them.  They did play bees in the "Whinney-ther-Pooh in the Honey Tree" that they put on last fall.  And they have an art/music fair each year.

• MonkeyPeanut79
    May 15, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Our rec center has a class for homeschoolers called gym and swim that my son is in. He's also in scouts and is taking a baseball class (he doesn't really enjoy it but that's why I signed him up for the class instead of trying out for little league this year lol) and this fall we have a local program that we are going to be starting that has tons of different classes. I think my son is going to be taking spanish and a science class since he loves science.

• Pukalani79
    May 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Right now it's through local organizations, but next year my son will be participating in band through the public schools

• hipmomto3
    May 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I have no idea if homeschooled kids can do extra-curriculars at the public school. Mostly because I have no interest in getting my kids into those things.

My children take a PE class at homeschool co-op, and they play outside a bunch, and we go on long walks and bike rides as a family. That's their sports. :) We've done basketball, gymnastics, t-ball etc through the Y in the past. 

All 3 are in scouts (daisy, junior, and cub). They take other classes through co-op and an art class through the Y. They do day camps in summer. 

• 101stwife
    May 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Unfortunately in California public schools do not have to allow homeschool students to participate in their sports and other activities. That is very sad to me. We live on a military post in the middle of the Mojave desert, an hour from any other town. So, our activities are limited. My daughter (5yo) is in Daisy Girl Scouts. My youngest son just got done with baseball but there were barely enough kids to play and ended up only have 2 teams comprised of boys and girls from 8-14. That was interesting. My middle son is in track and field but I am not sure that they will ever get to do actual meets...seems like just practicing since there is no one to compete against. My oldest who is 16...well there is nothing for him to do. Well, unless you count paintball which he does every Wednesday. They also do Youth group at the Church which they really enjoy!

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    We are allowed to participate in ps sports but we havent needed to. Dd is in Dixie youth tball right now and I will be signing her up for dance for this fall.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts