Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bjacques
Considering homeschooling and dealing with auditory processing disorder
May 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

There are several pages worth of backstory to this question, but I will spare you all the details and give you the basics.

My son is 9.  He is currently enrolled in a Catholic school that we loved until this year.  His teacher has made our lives miserable and third grade can't end soon enough.  The only upside to her terrible teaching is that it spurred us to have an academic assessment done to make sure he isn't learning disabled.  He's not.  However, the public school district is requesting we have him tested for auditory processing disorder.  (He has had 3 ear surgeries in the past 5 years, so this is very likely to be the root of his problems academically.)  He meets the vast majority of the symptoms and it seems very likely that we are going to get the diagnosis.

If the testing shows he does have this issue, there's a very good chance the Catholic school can't or won't support his needs.  (I do love the school... this is the only year we've ever had problems.)  Our options are public school (not at all happy with our district and would prefer not to go this route, however they would be required to follow and IEP), a different private school (not many options, but there are some), and homeschooling.

Homeschooling is huge in this area and I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to find great social connections for him.  We would go with a cyber charter for the first year, as we learn the ropes.  Would a kid with auditory processing problems be a good canidate for something like this?

My only other concerns with homeschooling are juggling my 9 month old and convincing my very traditional husband that it's a good idea.  But those seem managable.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 14, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I am a firm believer that homeschooling is always best for children with special needs & learning difficulty's! You can custom make things fit your child instead of trying to make him fit a class room of other kids.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts