Homeschooling Moms

tuffymama
Printer advice: Epson Workforce v. Brother
May 14, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I have a Lexmark and an HP inkjet, both of which suck ink like mad, to the point that I have sent most things out for printing over the last year. I am moving up to a wireless laserjet since I do most things on apple products and kindle now anyway. I checked the past threads on here regarding printer choice, and all over the net (even other homeschool groups to which I do not belong - scandal! LOL), and I've narrowed it down to some version of a Brother or an Epson Workforce. I'm mainly concerned about toner usage and user-friendliness. Does anyone have views on which is best and why? TIA for your time!

Replies

• mommy4lyf
    May 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I am sorry. I am using Samsung for heavy printing (worksheets) and HP Officejet H470 (portable, so I can print even when we are on vacation).

• mommy4lyf
    May 14, 2013 at 10:09 AM

BUMP!

• bluerooffarm
    May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

We are planning on purchasing a Brother laser printer (the color one, which I cannot remember the numbers that go with it!)  I print all of the boys' worksheets so that we can use the workbooks over and over again, so I go through a whole lot of ink.  My BIL is the tech guy for a local school district and he recommended the Brother.  He said the startup cost is high, but it will save us a lot in the long run.  It holds its ink well over the long month breaks we have in the summer and over Christmas without drying out like my Kodak does.  It has a better list of qualities for saving ink on those colorful worksheets (like our Spanish lessons) with my Kodak the page comes out curled from the heavy amount of ink it uses.

His main complaint about the Epson was how much it jams and how it took a long time for the teachers he works with to learn how to use its functions (not intuitive).

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I would love to help you but I have been using the same Cannon all in 1 printer now for going on 8 years. I am in the beginning stages of looking for a replacement myself because the ink cartridges are getting harder to find & starting to cost a ton more then they used to!

• celticdragon77
    May 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I have a HP photosmart all-in-one c4180 

It prints high quality. However, it uses ink up so fast and the ink itself isn't cheap. Plus, more than a few times, I printed something offline or that I had downloaded to my computer - and it would pull more than one page through which causes a paper jam. The printer then made me reprint everything instead of resuming. Other times it will just skip pages and I end up having to reprint. This thing is just a huge money pit for ink! 

I am in the process of looking for a new printer. I have some useful links that I will come back and add here. But just remember not to JUST look at "cost per page to print" - read reviews and see if you see common complaints for other issues that also will waste your ink. 

• celticdragon77
    May 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

http://www.qualitylogic.com/tuneup/uploads/docfiles/QualityLogic-Cost-of-Ink-Per-Page-Analysis_US_1-Jun-2012.pdf

http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=84743,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/article/254899/ink_onomics_can_you_save_money_by_spending_more_on_your_printer_.html

• JulieBrown
    May 14, 2013 at 6:30 PM

We have an Epson Workforce and we have had problems with it.  It would work and then it wouldn't.....very disappointing. 

I have had much better luck with HP printers.

• tuffymama
    May 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    Thank you ladies! I am visiting some stores today to hopefully get some better ideas about how user friendly the printers are. Kinda leaning towards Brother at this point...

Homeschooling Moms