Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
malchusmom
BEEN HOME SCHOOLING BUT MY KIDS ARE NOT REGISTER.....I NEED INPUT,PLZ
May 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Hello mamas!!!!!  I have a 6 yr old and a 5 yr old that i been homeschooling. My son is doing first grade and my daughter kinder. Last November i enroll my son with this privet christian academy homeschooling school. I pay $175 every quarter and they give me the set of books my son needs to work on from home,i have to keep track of his grades and report that to them every often. I don't have to let the department of education knows im homeschooling because with this academy works like a privet school but from home.

The problem is i have not get back to them. The system they used is a little complicated to write down the grades, all the paperwork was confusing. So i did the whole set of books with my son but after i have not gone back to them and been teaching my son all the basics stuffs a first grader should be learning. I have purchase lots of books on thrift stores for first and second grader and my son is soo advance. We do 2 to 3 hrs a day of school. The thing is right now is like im in the air. He is not register with the state and i have not gone back to this privet academy to get the next set of books and pay. The reason? like i said before,the system they use is a little confusing and beside we were having money problems. What should i do now? im i in trouble for not reporting to the state im homeschooling my son?? im soooo lost. Plz help me out here mamas. Im in Orlando,Florida.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    You don't have to register in Florida. You only have to submit an evaluation and if this is first grade for him, this is the first year you must do that. Let me find the evaluators' contact info and get back to you.
  • leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I am not real sure on this, but I will tell say that I would have thought you were registered with the private school.  I would contact the private school and ask for help filling out the paperwork online.  Because I do not know the laws in your district (I am in the panhandle) I can only tell you what I would do.  First contact the private school and let them know you are unsure how to complete the online paperwork.  If you can not afford the private school, I would contact the district and see what they require.  My district only requires me to have my dd evaluated or take the standard tests.  I don't report hours, book lists or anything.  I do keep a portfolio of all she does.

I would not worry too much.  Just breathe.  It will all work out in the end.

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 13, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You do have to do a "letter of intent" though.  Don't you?  I know here in the panhandle of Florida we have to.

Quoting tuffymama:

You don't have to register in Florida. You only have to submit an evaluation and if this is first grade for him, this is the first year you must do that. Let me find the evaluators' contact info and get back to you.

• tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM
    Yes! A letter of intent is required. Here is what KBM posted:
    Florida -

Florida HS Facts

Florida Homeschool Network

Compulsory Attendance Ages: Between 6 (by February 1) and 16 (§1003.21(1).

· Required Days of Instruction: 180 days for public and private schools. (§ 1003.02(1)(g))
    Homeschoolers operating under option 1 below are specifically excluded from this requirement.

• Required Subjects: None.

• Teacher Qualifications: None for parents.

• Standardized Tests: Only required for parents complying with the home school law in Option 1 below.

Each student must do one of the following each year:

Have educational progress evaluated by a teacher holding a valid regular Florida teaching certificate and selected by the parent. The evaluation must include review of a portfolio and discussion with the student

Take any nationally normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher;

Take "a state student assessment test used by the school district and administered by a certified teacher, at a location and under testing condition approved by the school district";

Be evaluated by a Florida licensed psychologist or school psychologist; or

Be "evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon."
    • Home schools have three options:

Option 1: Home schools can operate under the home school law.
    1. The definition of a "home education program" is "sequentially progressive instruction of a student directed by his parent or guardian...." (§ 1002.01(1))
    2. The parent must meet the following requirements:
    a. Notify the county superintendent in writing within 30 days of establishing the home school. (Not required to be filed annually.);
    b. Give the names, addresses, and birth dates of the home school students; and
    c. Maintain a portfolio of records and materials consisting of a log of educational activities made contemporaneously with the instruction and designating by title any reading materials used and samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student. The portfolio must be preserved for two years and made available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15 days written notice, but the school district has no authority to enter the home. Nothing in this section shall require the superintendent to inspect the portfolio. (Note: The child abuse affidavit requirement was repealed in 1995 by Senate Bill 1536.)
    d. Comply with standardized tests requirements. Each year, the following requirements must be met:
    1) take any nationally normed student achievement test administered by any certified teacher,
    2) or the child must take a "state student assessment test used by the school district and administered by a certified teacher, at a location and under testing condition approved by the school district,"
    3) or be evaluated by a Florida certified teacher,
    4) or be evaluated by a licensed psychologist,
    5) or be "evaluated by any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon." The parent must file a copy of the evaluation with the local school superintendent annually. There is no specific statutory deadline. "The school superintendent shall review and accept the results of the annual evaluation.... If the pupil does not demonstrate educational progress at a level commensurate with his ability, the superintendent shall notify the parent in writing...." The parent shall have one year to provide "remedial instruction" to the pupil. At the end of the "one year probationary period" the student shall be reevaluated to determine if he has progressed "commensurate with his ability." (§1002.41(2))

Option 2. Home schools can operate under the private tutor law. (§1002.43). A person may teach a child if the person meets the following requirements:
    a. Holds a valid Florida certificate to teach the subjects or grades in which instruction is given;
    b. Keeps all records and makes all reports required by the state and district school board; and
    c. Requires students to be in actual attendance for 180 days or the equivalent on an hourly basis.

Option 3. More than one home school can operate as a private school. A child who "attends" a private, parochial, religious, or denominational school is exempt from compulsory attendance. (§ 1002.01(2))

Reference: Click Here

Florida State High School Graduation Requirements:

English units: 4. Units must have "major concentration in composition, reading for information and literature."
    Math units: 4 (incl. unit of Algebra I or higher). Eff. Class of 2014 must inclued Geometry.
    Social studies units: 3. Must include 1 unit U.S. history and 1 unit "world history and .5 unit economis and American government,
    Science units: 3, incl. 2 lab science units
    P.E./Health units: 1
    Arts: 1 unit performing arts, speech and debate, or a practical arts course that incorporates artistic content and techniques of creativity, interpretation and imagination. Eligible practical arts courses identified in the Course Code Directory.
    Foreign language: 0
    Electives units: 8
    Other units: 1 unit fine or performing arts, speech and debate, or a practical arts course that incorporates artistic content and techniques of creativity, interpretation and imagination. Eligible practical arts courses identified in the Course Code Directory.
  • tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    Check these threads:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/17977518/Anyone_know_about_Florida_Evaluations
  • tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/18308320/Evaluations_In_Florida
  • tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    And I have some stuff regarding evaluations in my Pinterest I will try to find for you.
  • tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    Gradebook for free:
    http://fivejs.com/homeschool-gradebook-free-download/
  • tuffymama
    May 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
    http://floridahomeschoolhelp.com/evaluation_information

http://www.iamhomeschooling.com/homeschooling-in-florida/fl-articles/1390-florida-homeschool-evaluations

And I know I have another one so I will keep digging.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Looks like tuffymama has lots of helpful information for you! Good luck!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN