Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
How much importance do you put on handwriting?
May 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My sister has her kiddos in public school. One is in K and the other in 2nd grade. The one in K is learning to recognize and write upper and lower case letters. The one in 2nd grade still writes in print but with an emphasis on spacing and sizing of the text. When I asked if he was learning cursive, she told me that they go over it but there is no real emphasis on it since it is considered obsolete. I did some checking and apparently cursive writing is now taught at the individual states discretion. You all know I am new at this, but I'd really like your opinion on this and what you do.

I think it is a lost art and I want to teach my child this when the time comes. Do you teach cursive? Do you think it is an important skill to have or do you agree that it is obsolete?

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I agree with this completely.

My kids each learned the basics of cursive in ps, but we will review when we begin hsing.  I don't think enough emphasis is put on it and now that it is not part of the common core it will not be required at all in most states.  It is not required in my state now, but they still squeeze it in in 4th grade, they just don't make a big deal out of it and don't correct it when it's wrong.

Major documents such as the Consitution and Bill of Rights are written in cursive, as much of our historical documents are.  A great way to reduce the importance of those documents is to make them illegible to future generations.

Quoting tuffymama:

Handwriting is VERY important! Cursive, too. How to bring a strong nation of patriots to its knees? Slowly disarm them, slowly starve them, refuse to teach them their own history, and slowly take away their ability to read and write. I can't believe PS is so boldly rendering students illiterate, one generation at a time. Teach the children to read and write with ease and with joy.

• No_Difference
    May 13, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Handwriting is very important here too. I've tried and tried and tried with my oldest to improve her printing, but it seems to get worse. I never used a handwriting curiculum, figuring it's easy enough to buy handwriting paper and have her practice either letters or words, or even copy sentences. That hasn't helped us at all... She has and is continuing to show interest in cursive, and I've taught her, and her crusive is far more legible than her print.
    My little guy on the other hand still hasn't picked a hand that he's going to write with, and I'm thinking he's leaning more towards a lefty. I am left hand incompetant lol.
    So for all of that, we're using Handwriting Without Tears next year. They teach for both lefties and righties, and help with those who struggle with writing.  We're sticking with cursive for my oldest, and I've given up on her printing... I'm just going to chalk it up to she's going to have crappy handwriting like her dad...

• HopeJoyPeace1
    May 13, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Quoting tuffymama:

Handwriting is VERY important! Cursive, too. How to bring a strong nation of patriots to its knees? Slowly disarm them, slowly starve them, refuse to teach them their own history, and slowly take away their ability to read and write. I can't believe PS is so boldly rendering students illiterate, one generation at a time. Teach the children to read and write with ease and with joy.

This my dear you and I both can agree whole heartedly on! I totally agree with you on this point!

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    May 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    We taught cursive in second grade. It is not obsolete. Your child will need to know how to read others handwriting, and a good number of people write in cursive. I write in cursive more than print, so does my mom, and most professionals.
  • celticdragon77
    May 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My kids are not taught cursive in public school. They are not even taught "handwriting". My son writes all of his letters starting from the bottom.

Then again, my kids school also does not think spelling or vocabulary needs to be done. They said "it wastes precious classroom time on skills that will picked up naturally." 

• celticdragon77
    May 13, 2013 at 3:31 PM

This post reminds of the great Ray Bradbury quote - "You do not have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them." I have a magnet of this quote, on my fridge.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I thin learning to write is still important to learn but I have read that learning cursive first is the better way of doing it!

• Chrln06
    by Chrln06
    May 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I don't think cursive is obsolete. I will teach it to my kids. 

• celticdragon77
    May 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Sometimes I think our public school is trying out the unschooling method O_o

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    May 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM

My 6 year old asked to learn cursive so I am teaching her. I planned on teaching her next year in second grade, but we just wrapped up for the year and I'm going to follow her lead on this one. She had asked before, last year she asked to learn to "wrinkle write" lol but I didnt go further with it. This time I'm going to roll with it. I'm also thinking of teaching my preschooler cursive first. I'm a big fan of the montessori methods of teaching and they usually teach cursive. I do focus on handwriting a lot. If she is sloppy I make her re write it, even when its in print.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts