Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Walnutgrovefarm
Common Core Curriculum- Need help in understanding what it is!
May 12, 2013 at 8:08 AM

What is this Common Core Curriculm I've been hearing about. Mostly from public school parents. Any insights to this new teaching method. I know my state does not require testing, but I'm interested in knowing what it is about. Thanks for all your help in advance!!!!

Replies

• romacox
    by romacox
    May 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

The Home School Legal Defense Association has several articles on Common Core, and how it effects home educators. 

• KickButtMama
    May 12, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Core are all those classes EVERYONE has to do - Reading, Writing, Math. Some cores include science & social studies. 

• QueenCreole313
    May 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Many States have aligned their basic minimum standards for core subjects.
  • celticdragon77
    May 12, 2013 at 1:15 PM

A few years ago, I was doing research on Finlands education system. They are continuously ranked #1 in the world for education. I read articles, watched videos, talked with with people from Finland, etc. 

I come across articles about how America was sending teachers and admins to study the schools in Finland. 

Finland implements amazing things and used a lot of research to do so. They made sure teachers had masters degrees, they hire only the top performing students in college (as teachers), they require the teachers to be apprentice teachers for a few years, they have shorter days, they feed their kids healthy fresh made hot meals (because of research), and just countless other things. You look at their classrooms, what they do in a class, how they teach, how they engage the kids... And it's amazing. 

But guess what America took away from all of that... WE NEED NATIONAL STANDARDS! I kept reading that America doesn't have national standards like Finland. THAT IS NOT WHY FINLAND SCHOOLS SUCCEED! Not in of itself anyways. I am sure it helps, but they have implemented researched based techniques and habits!!

On its most basic level, common core is just a guideline of what needs to be taught in the core subjects at each grade level. They attached Obama - Race To The Top - federal grant programs for the states, to this curriculum. Your state had to adopt this standard to be eligible for some of the federal education grants. I believe Texas was the only state to immediately turn it down and never get involved with it. Other states originally signed up to at least look at it, but ended up not accepting it, I think 3 states did that. I remember Alaska and Minnesota as being one of the ones who chose not to implement it. Most states adopted common core.

Many schools will say they were already on par with the common core and so it will make no difference - I don't know that I fully believe that. From my understanding, some of the common core is how things are taught - and some of it seems odd.

I will have to find the video of a teacher who was teaching kids multiplication, he mentions common core, and I don't know if this is his idea of using it or actually how it is to be used. But he basically introduces multiplication to the kids and has them tell him how they think it will be solved. Nothing they said made any sense. Some kids looked bored. Few participated. Now, I am a huge fan of getting kids to think, but this method, in this particular way, at that age, was a waste of time, foolish, and likely confused a few kids. At one point a kid says her mom taught her to do multiplication by counting on her fingers - and the teacher points this method out to the class and asks her to demonstrate it. By the end of the video the teacher had never taught the concept at all. But tons of teachers commented on the video saying how great this method was and they wanted to use it. O_o

There are such GREAT ways to teach math. WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO IT ThIS WAY!!! I would never say to my kids at 4 or 5, here is a book, What do you THINK we do with it? How do you THINK we read? My kids would call me out of I said How do you think we will do fractions? They would be like "Mom, you are supposed to be teaching us, not the other way around". I can have the kids thinking in other ways besides guessing at how to do a foreign concept in the second grade. 

Okay, now I have gotten off topic. Sorry, but the education system is infuriating to me. I just watch it and think What the hell are they thinking??? 

• Walnutgrovefarm
    May 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Thank you for your replies! I've been reading how this common core curriculm is going to be implemented in our school district next year and am not understanding it as some of the teahers are not getting it either. Thankfully my last public school child graduates in one week and my youngest is homeschooled and always will be.

• coala
    by coala
    May 13, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The only things I have heard are from friends, both on PTA boards in 2 different states.  I have one friend who thinks this is going to be great.  I have one who thinks this is the worst thing.

The one who thinks this is great....has her oldest in PS with her youngest going to VPK this next year.  She has nothing to compare it to.

My friend who thinks this is horrible has 3 children in school with her youngest having common core implemented every year as he advances.  It is slowing him down.  Thankfully he has parents on the ball and a teacher who cares about her students to keep him moving forward.  The school that he is at also tries to group the kids together based on skill levels.  The ones that are a little advanced will stay together and the ones that are average are together and the slower kids are together.  This does help my friend feel a little better b/c her son is bored and causing trouble in the classroom.  She would HS, but she is in college full time working on her degree.

I personally feel for these kids b/c they are being taught at the pace of the slowest kid in the nation and that is truly just sad.

• maggiemom2000
    May 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Common Core is NOT a teaching method. 

Every state has had their own State Standards (basically an outline of what is taught in each grade). Common core is an attempt to get states to voluntarily adopt the same set of standards so it does not vary from state to state. It is supposed to include, by 12th grade, everything a child should know to move on to college or into the work force.

It have all participating states give the same standardized tests in the Spring, instead of each state picking their own test.

Common Core does NOT:

• define how teachers teach
    • list all that can or should be taught, it is not limiting

• celticdragon77
    May 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Thank you for clarifying this.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Common Core is NOT a teaching method. 

Every state has had their own State Standards (basically an outline of what is taught in each grade). Common core is an attempt to get states to voluntarily adopt the same set of standards so it does not vary from state to state. It is supposed to include, by 12th grade, everything a child should know to move on to college or into the work force.

It have all participating states give the same standardized tests in the Spring, instead of each state picking their own test.

Common Core does NOT:

• define how teachers teach
    • list all that can or should be taught, it is not limiting

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN