Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Curriculum? Lesson Plans? Here are our goals....
May 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

DH and I started writing goals for our kids, we plan on beginning to hs starting this fall if all goes well.  Now I just need to figure out curriculum or lessons....we really can't buy curriculum, I won't be working or will be working minimally so we will be extra poor, I want most of our expenses to be field trips.  So here is what we have so far, please let me know if you know of any free or cheap resources!!

We have DS who will be entering 6th grade (will be 11 this summer) but is fairly advanced, and DD who will be entering 5th grade (will be 10 this summer) but is barely on level, falling behind a bit in my opinion.  I will teach a lot of the same things, but expectations will be a little different.

Math DS11: will work on critical thinking skills, word problems, ratios, percentages, review fractions and PEMDAS, introduce algebra --using mostly Khan Academy

DD10: will work on fractions, decimals, word problems, critical thinking, review and master basic math facts and money, review reading numbers and measurment conversions--mostly Khan Academy

Language Arts: DS11: spelling won't be a huge thing for him we will work more on vocab/definitions of tougher words, and look at where our words come from, For DD10 spelling will be a focus, I need a good website for spelling lists.....I want both to master print and cursive this year..they both will work on summarizing and writing book reports with different expectations for their level...they will both work on writing different things-letters, stories, plays, poetry, essays...DD will also work on sentence structure and forming paragraphs, DS will get to write bibliographies...we will also review synonyms/antonyms, homophones/homogaphs, work on editing sentences, and review grammar as needed.  Any websites for daily edits?  Or worksheets on the other things listed?

Science:  I am lost.  They will do a lot of this together, experiments, field trips...would like to look at: the human body, plants/animals/cells, solar system/universe, electricty, and introduce the periodic table and chemistry (DH thinks this is too advanced...but I am thinking volcano and coke/mentos stuff)

History: Ancient history for both kids, ancient Greece, Greek mythology, Ancient Rome, The Crusades, with geography in there as well...I have NO IDEA about history, I will be learning with them.  I am letting DH guide this area but I will be doing most of the teaching, DH thinks it's best to start at the beginning.  I am thinking Easy Peasy for a lot of the history stuff, I have no idea what else.

Foreign Language: Spanish I think (also considering French or Latin-hoping to teach all three eventually)- using Georgia Virtual Learning http://www.gavirtuallearning.org/Resources/SharedSpanish1%28WLCopy%29.aspx

And religion: we will introduce the bible, my kids have not been exposed to it very much but DH and I want them to have some idea. I don't know how to go about this, I'm thinking ewtn.com and just looking through the giant bible my mom is giving me and reading to them.

Any thoughts?  Recources?   Even if you know of some good books or curriculum that you think could work for us, I will look for used or at the library.

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 11, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    This sounds great. For History I would suggest Story of the World and its activity guide. It might be a little easy for your oldest but it is a good program. You might want to get the book from the library, and if you like it you can always make your own activities.
  • TJandKarasMom
    May 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Thank you for the encouragement!  I am a little anxious, but all we have to do in our state is show progress (with a portfolio and eval or test), so I don't think I have too much to worry about.

I will look at Story of the World...I figure I can make things harder for him by giving him more expectations on writing assignments-a lot of their writing will be about what we learn in history.  Thank you again!  It's good to know I have the right idea :)

Quoting mem82:

This sounds great. For History I would suggest Story of the World and its activity guide. It might be a little easy for your oldest but it is a good program. You might want to get the book from the library, and if you like it you can always make your own activities.

• energygirl
    May 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

for Bible...the answers in Genesis is suppose to have some good stuff.....  if they haven't been exposed much maybe just a jr Bible of some sort (not a little kid one...but one geared for their ages) might have some lesson ideas or questions in the side margins to help

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

My goals with our children was to love books and never lose their love of learning. I would write them together. Maybe figure what goals they would like to work on. I higher recommend working on Chemistry and physics very early. It is a great idea. I wanted my kids to get a gently introduciton. I did Chemistry this year and next year I am doing physics.

Here a few things we used.

http://www.amazon.com/Periodic-Table-Elements-Coloring-Book/dp/1466484292 http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128149/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368307683&sr=1-1&keywords=periodic+table+tiles http://www.amazon.com/Connecting-Color-Tiles-Periodic-Table/dp/B008AK6FVA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1368307683&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=periodic+table+tiles http://www.amazon.com/C-Carbon-Marilee-Summers/dp/0975307800/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368307833&sr=1-1&keywords=c+is+for+carbon http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Visual-Exploration-Every-Universe/dp/1579128149/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1368307683&sr=1-1&keywords=periodic+table+tiles

I highly recommend getting some periodic tables and just talking about the elements. Also another great option is starting an elements collection box. Good luck. Feel free to ask me anything.

• QueenCreole313
    May 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Spelling city.com has free spelling lists!
  • hwblyf
    by hwblyf
    May 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

With minimal exposure to the Bible and such, even at their age I would go with Our Sunday Visitor's Catholic Encyclopedia for Children.  It has a lot of the "everyone seems to know these" stories from the Bible along with some saint information and some prayers, beliefs, symbols, church year, etc.  I really like it.

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

For math you could try the Math Page  It is broken down into chapters and was really helpful with my daughter's algebra.

We also used Spelling City for some spelling words, but I found that reading books or web research helped too.  If she found a word she didn't understand then she was to write it down and then find the definition and use it in a sentence.  I felt this was better than doing spelling lists.

Science was harder for us.  We did a little of this and a lot of that.  There was a website that had Earth science with the chapters and it was okay.  Not the greatest, but okay.  I will search to find it again.  I ended up deleting all of last years webpage because we are now in the 6th and 7th grade levels and didn't want to get them confused.

History we did a lot of Civil War.  My dd liked that because we could go to the forts here and she understood a little more.

We don't do religion in our schooling, so can't help you there.

We might try foreign language this year, but depends on how she does with her talking.  She is a Selective Mute, so talking in general is not something she does a lot of.

Your curriculum sounds really good. I might even borrow some of your ideas for my 6/7th grader.

• celticdragon77
    May 12, 2013 at 1:37 PM

awesome idea!

Quoting jen2150:

starting an elements collection box.

• celticdragon77
    May 12, 2013 at 1:41 PM

The library has always been my biggest resource tool. The Internet is good, but often lacks the depth of a good old library. 

• ColtsFan1912
    May 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM

We are history of the world for history.

We are using Apologia for science.

I'm so excited for next year :)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts