Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
energygirl
how do you decide when "good enough" is "good enough" with a concept?
May 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM

for example....we did counting coins for Kindergarden....and my daughter knows all the coins....and can count a group of nickels dimes and pennies......or a group of quarters...but if I throw them all together she frequently gets confused.  I don't want to get caught up in her being "perfect" at everything (after all she is only 6) but how do you decide which skills need perfected and which ones they are doing ok for their age at?  She is getting frustrated....we have been practising about 2-3 times a week on it for a few minutes...I do seem improvement.....just not sure how much to push....or if I should come back to it later.  She is starting to act stressed when she sees me get the coins out....Any thoughts?

Replies

• energygirl
    May 12, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

i dont settle for just mediocre i think children should have to master a skill before moving on....however if it is becoming stressful or its just not clickig i would step away from it...do something else in math and then come back to it in a few weeks also if you can tell us how youve been teaching her we can help giv eyou some other ideas to try....are you jsut working on coin recognition or the value of those coins? are you have her count nickells as just counting the objects or count them like money as in 5 cents and so on? hav eyou jsut been practicing with real money? anything else youve done with the lesson? let me know all this and ill try to help :)

she recognizes coins....can count a group of like coins.....and if I put a bunch of nickels dimes and pennies together she can add them........she can count quarters and pennies together...but if  put quarters with dimes and nickels she gets confused...(she can tell quarters and nickels apart....just hard to add them). She can count by 2's, 5'2, 10's, and quarters......  I think after reading everyone's responses that she is on track...and that most kindergarteners can't get this right all the time either...so I am going to lay off it for a while. Thanks for offerring to help :)

• HarrisonMD
    May 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting No_Difference:

When I was going over coins with my daughter, we were also going over who the people on the coins were in history coincidentally. To make it easier learning the which coins were which. (Mind you, this was supposed to be really sill and fun, not to be offensive, or necessarily historically accurate) 
    George Washington is so important, he's not just on the dollar, but on our quarter too - the most commonly used so he gets seen a lot.
    Lincoln is on the Penny becouse he did hundreds of things while in office, and he abolished slavery which is why the coin is a different color - (the silver coins were getting a little prejudice)
    Thomas Jefferson is on the nickel because, if you just have a nickle, you're broke, but if you melt it down, it's worth a lot more (which is illegal to do with pennies and nickels), just like the man! He was broke, but his property and belongings were worth much more. Why is the nickle bigger than the dime? Because Jefferson was a founding father and would be sorely wounded if his face wasn't more well known than Roosevelts.
    Franklin D Roosevelt is on the dime because he started the March of Dimes.

Mostly learning the difference between Washington and Jefferson helped her remember which coin was which... The others were pretty easy for her to remember

I love this! What a great idea!

• Jlee4249
    May 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM
    She sounds like she's doing good.
    We just did repetition: "25, 50, 75, a dollar" over and over and over again. We'd write it, say it,
    dance around & yell it. Then we'd count by ten. I'd throw out a number & have her count by ten from that number, then with fives---not once touching coins.
    Try setting up a store & give her a coin purse. Put price tags on small toys or treats (cookies, candies, a carrot stick ;)) 19cents, 11cents, etc. Throughout the day, after she finishes an assignment, tell her to grab her coin purse & buy a treat from the "store".
    start out with only pennies, then add a few nickles. After a while, give her just dimes or just quarters, and YOU count out change for her by writing down the problem for her to see & you having to figure it out.
    Find a few worksheets, but only toss her one every other day. Don't make it a big deal, but for now I'd back off for about a week or two. Good luck!
  • celticdragon77
    May 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM

http://educationofours.blogspot.com/search/label/math 

http://www.momto2poshlildivas.com/2012/07/teaching-coin-value-with-glowing-fun.html

http://secondgradestyle.blogspot.com/2011/12/money-money-money.html

http://discoverymoments.com/math/montessori-money-math/

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN