Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Mandallyn
homeschool and work
May 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I'm expecting I may need to return to work soon. I am hoping to get any tips from anyone who works and homeschools. My DH and I will possibly share the responsibility.
My ds will be in first grade. Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• QueenCreole313
    May 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM
    We have found that we don't have to have a set schedule. Your "school" will look different than the families where the educator does not work. I work a full time 9-5.

I teach Bible after breakfast.
    My son is assigned some independent work when I am gone.
    Then we have about 2 lessons at night. His off days are Thur and Friday. That allows us to have more lessons in the weekends. I hope this helps!

Everyone is different. See what works for you. But it can be done!
  • Walnutgrovefarm
    May 9, 2013 at 7:35 AM

My dh and I own a business. I work three afternoons a week or more depending on the need. It works. School is in the mornings then independent work is done in the afternoon. I schedule each day out and sometimes have to rearrange things. I'm always ready to rearrange our schedule. I think it's made my ds more flexible in his life and more independent.

• KrissyKC
    May 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I used to do some daycare and homeschooled two with another one in diapers....

i had to be very scheduled.  Up at 4:45 to recieve early kids at 5:10 am.   They were all school kids at this point, so I just supervised their play with my own kids while I got them all breakfast and got my baby and own kids ready for the day.   Then they got on the bus, and I'd find something to get the baby doing at my feet while we would jump into HSing for the morning.   We had a general schedule, not by time, but we did bible first, then handwriting, geography, then short break for snack and take care of baby, then one child would play with baby while i taught them math and they'd switch.   I'd play with baby and clean kitchen while they DID math work as well as move laundry along...  (see what I mean?  Everything had it's time and place or it wouldn't get done.)  

Then I'd get another diaper kid in the afternoon and then I'd get my school kids back... i kept a few of them until 11 a few nights a week when their parent was interning... however, most days I was kid free by 6:30......... then was dinner, baths, and making the home "daycare ready" for the next day.  It was doable, but there was very little breathing space.    Just weekly and daily tasks like making sure we had enough food for all those kids and ourselves...had to be figured on in advance. 

Especially since DH worked 2 jobs at the time himself.

This is getting long, so I'll make a second reply for when I held an actual out of the house job....

• KrissyKC
    May 9, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Ok, I had an overnight job working at a Scholastics plant.  I really liked the job, but it was full time (plus overtime) and I just wasn't sleeping.   At this point, my own kids were 10, 7, and 3.   I would nap on the couch, but I'd wake up in terror when my 3 yr old would scream (and she is a screamer... I've NEVER been able to curb the outbreaks)...

Anyway, I'd get home in the morning, tired... and sleep for an hour or two on the couch... as the kids got up, I'd get up and get them breakfast and assign the morning work, and get out somethign for the three yr old to do while I rested on the couch.   At around 11 ish, they'd wake me and I'd check on their work while we got lunch together.   We'd work on the individual stuff (like maths and englishes) while letting the other one watch a little TV with their 3 yr old sister.   I'd take the little one outside while they did their math or english I assigned them, and then they'd play in the backyard with their sister while I watched from the kitchen window and started dinner.

I got a 1-2 hour nap in after kids went to bed and then got up and drove 45 minutes to my job to put in 8-10 hours and come home and do it all over again.

This situation blew up in my face because I started being so sleep deprived that I would have close to freak out panic attacks if my kids startled me awake or something and I'd have to mentally breathe and talk myself down...

Then, my kids stopped doing their assignments and refused to do their work.   They started sneaking and doing things that were naughty while I slept... etc...  they would sneak food, get into stuff they weren't supposed to, and even worse.

My eldest refused to do her work ALL week, so I stuck her at the table until certain portions were done on Saturday and she got angry she could hear the kids outside playing and she stuffed dry beans in her ears out of frustration and wanting to block the noise... so I ended up paying 3/4ths of my income those two weeks on an emergency bill because she refused to tell me until it had been in there most of the day and she'd pushed it so far back even the doctor had trouble getting it out!!!

Anyway, I also ended up expecting my fourth child while working there, and about 7 weeks along, I was done and quit.  I gave notice, but I quit.

Out of those scenarios, what worked best for me was doing daycare (specifically I watched 3 kids bef/aft school and in the summer plus one other kid around the age of my younger child at the time.)  I was more regimented and the kids benefitted from my actual job because they were being cared for along side the daycare kids.   I was sleeping nights, the need to keep organized kept up moving, etc...

• Mandallyn
    May 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Wow!  That sounds CRAZY!  What a coincidence, Dh and I were talking and we discussed me starting an in-home daycare.  I kind of like the idea, actually thinking about becoming licensed, which would mean a degree in the state we're considering moving to.  I might have to wait to become a resident so we don't pay as much for college, but we'll figure it out.  Thank you :)

Quoting KrissyKC:

Out of those scenarios, what worked best for me was doing daycare (specifically I watched 3 kids bef/aft school and in the summer plus one other kid around the age of my younger child at the time.)  I was more regimented and the kids benefitted from my actual job because they were being cared for along side the daycare kids.   I was sleeping nights, the need to keep organized kept up moving, etc...

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN