Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LilrockerMama
Grades?
May 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I have all my sons papers, and all the grades written down. Now I'm trying to use a spreadsheet to put all my grades on there but I'm completely confused. Do you grade daily work? I want to, but how am I suppose to do that? Do I just take every thing he has done in say english, and then get the mean and just put it down as one grade? We just started homeschooling in January, and my state has no requirements so I'm still trying to figure out how to do all this stuff! Give me some ideas ladies! Thank you =)

Replies

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    May 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

What age/grade is your child? 

If your state doesn't require it why do it?  You know where he's at in each subject just by working with him, and that's all a grade would tell you anyway.

If all work for a subject has the same weight - then yeah add it up total points and divide by total points possible.  If you weight certain things differently then you'd add that category as above and then multiply by that percentage.

If daily work is 30% of the grade, tests are 30% and projects are 40% then find the mean for the daily work and multiply by .3, finish with the rest tests and projects and add together.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Is he in high school? If you are not required to keep them why are you makeing more work for yourself by keeping them, unless it is because he is in high school & you are trying to make transcripts for collage.

• celticdragon77
    May 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM

We do not use grades, so I can not help. My daughter who is in public school right now but will be homeschooled starting in July, just asked me today if she could get grades. I said we could have stickers instead - that seem to satisfy her. 

• maggiemom2000
    May 8, 2013 at 11:39 PM

The first thing I would suggest is that you ask yourself why you want to give every assignment a grade? How does giving a grade and keeping track of every single thing help your child to earn and help you to teach?

We do not do much in the way of grades. The math program they used this year gave them a % score for each assignment and quiz. That helped me to check in and see when we needed to go back and review a lesson (they did the lesson on their own on the computer). Other than that I don't put grades on things. We go over work together and see what they need more practice on an correct mistakes. One reason I choose to not give grades is because, to me, that is not important. I want them to focus on learning and on doing their best, not on getting a good score.

• KickButtMama
    May 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I, personally, don't understand the point of grades for homeschool. Grades in PS are there to show a parent and teacher how one child fits in among the other kids in the class. But in HS we don't move on until a child masters a concept....so even if they did poorly the first time, we'd always redo until they got 100%, which would make grading redundant. 

• KickButtMama
    May 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Love it! Kids transitioning from PS to HS like the continuity of having a concrete idea of how they are doing - like grades. For us, we do a semester scrapbook. Since our state doesn't require any kind of record keeping, we instead make a scrapbook of everything we did that semester. So it serves as a tool for remembering all the cool stuff we did, and it shows progression.

Quoting celticdragon77:

We do not use grades, so I can not help. My daughter who is in public school right now but will be homeschooled starting in July, just asked me today if she could get grades. I said we could have stickers instead - that seem to satisfy her. 

• QueenCreole313
    May 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM
    Sorry I don't grade either. We just repeat concepts until it is mastered.
  • LilrockerMama
    May 9, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Okay sounds good guess I'm stressing over nothing lol. Thank you all!
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    If the work has tests, I will grade that. Next year she has subjects with hands on projects and I'm still trying to figure out how to grade that.
  • bluerooffarm
    May 9, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I grade each individual paper.  If he doesn't get over an 85%, we don't move on.  So I don't really keep grades either.  If he gets lower than 85% we Regroup (decide what he doesn't understand), Review (only going over the problem pieces), Replay (play a couple review games for the concept), and Retake (I create a new quiz that only covers the stuff he struggled with).  Then we make a big deal about how he "got it!"

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts