Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
LilrockerMama
Grades?
May 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I have all my sons papers, and all the grades written down. Now I'm trying to use a spreadsheet to put all my grades on there but I'm completely confused. Do you grade daily work? I want to, but how am I suppose to do that? Do I just take every thing he has done in say english, and then get the mean and just put it down as one grade? We just started homeschooling in January, and my state has no requirements so I'm still trying to figure out how to do all this stuff! Give me some ideas ladies! Thank you =)

Replies

• Pukalani79
    May 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I don't grade either, sorry.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I'm starting to grade Missie more since she is getting older. It helps her when I show her that missing 3 out of 10 isn't good. It is a C and a low one at that.

Cole, who has never been to public, wants me to grade things. It makes him happy.

• LilrockerMama
    May 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    That sounds like a really good idea. So you don't really record the grade just check it then and know when he's ready to move on? I was just worrying that I needed to keep an entire gradebook sort of thing and how to do that, I have just been doing pretty much what you say, I just go over and see how he's doing and go over some more if he don't get it. But I haven't kept any record of anything

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I grade each individual paper.  If he doesn't get over an 85%, we don't move on.  So I don't really keep grades either.  If he gets lower than 85% we Regroup (decide what he doesn't understand), Review (only going over the problem pieces), Replay (play a couple review games for the concept), and Retake (I create a new quiz that only covers the stuff he struggled with).  Then we make a big deal about how he "got it!"

• LilrockerMama
    May 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM
    He is 8 in 2nd grade

Quoting JCB911:

What age/grade is your child? 

If your state doesn't require it why do it?  You know where he's at in each subject just by working with him, and that's all a grade would tell you anyway.

If all work for a subject has the same weight - then yeah add it up total points and divide by total points possible.  If you weight certain things differently then you'd add that category as above and then multiply by that percentage.

If daily work is 30% of the grade, tests are 30% and projects are 40% then find the mean for the daily work and multiply by .3, finish with the rest tests and projects and add together.

• bluerooffarm
    May 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I could give you advice about keeping a gradebook if you really want it, but IMO homeschooling works better when we are not keeping a gradebook "over their heads."

If you really want to keep a gradebook you need to think about weighting the grades.  Pretests, homework, and small assignments shouldn't be weighted as heavily as end of unit testing.  It gives them the responsibility of completing the work but gives them a chance to learn the subject matter before they are tested on it.  I used to keep a 5 point score for each "homework grade" then I would weight it by multiplying the homework grades by 10%, the spelling tests by 20%, the writing assignments by 20%, and the main test grades by 50%.  That way the other grades don't hurt them badly.  But I used that in a ps classroom.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

That sounds like a really good idea. So you don't really record the grade just check it then and know when he's ready to move on? I was just worrying that I needed to keep an entire gradebook sort of thing and how to do that, I have just been doing pretty much what you say, I just go over and see how he's doing and go over some more if he don't get it. But I haven't kept any record of anything

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I grade each individual paper.  If he doesn't get over an 85%, we don't move on.  So I don't really keep grades either.  If he gets lower than 85% we Regroup (decide what he doesn't understand), Review (only going over the problem pieces), Replay (play a couple review games for the concept), and Retake (I create a new quiz that only covers the stuff he struggled with).  Then we make a big deal about how he "got it!"

• tiredmomfor2
    May 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    We don't do grades. :) I do check the work that is done and then they correct it. If they continue to have issues, we try it again.
    My son asked me a few months ago what a grade was. I explained it to him..and he stood there pondering it for a minute. Then he said 'Huh...that's weird.' Turned around and walked away. Lol
  • superwoman0105
    May 10, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I keep grades on everything, not because I want to but because it motivates my student.  He went to K and 1st at a tradiational school before we homeschooled and he is intent on knowing what his grade is.  I guess we made him that way cause we put such a focus on grades when he was in school.  Anyway, I use the Homeschool Tracker Free Software.  I record all of our tests, attendance, our reading log, and then at the end I get a report card from it.

• energygirl
    May 10, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I, personally, don't understand the point of grades for homeschool. Grades in PS are there to show a parent and teacher how one child fits in among the other kids in the class. But in HS we don't move on until a child masters a concept....so even if they did poorly the first time, we'd always redo until they got 100%, which would make grading redundant. 

thanks for the way you worded this!  I get a lecture from a relative all the time about not grading....and I was having a hard time articulating the reason...you have it.....we don't move on until they master a concept (so in the end that would mean straight A's...but really every child should have the attention and help to achieve this).   I may change my tune when we get closer to highschool for transcripts...but I have heard a lot of colleges look more at SAT or ACT scores anyway....

• TJandKarasMom
    May 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I love this "Regroup, Review, Replay, and Retake" method, sounds like my plan for my kids, but I like it laid out like that so I can tell them that's what they will do!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• bluerooffarm
    May 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I figured it out when my oldest wanted a concrete set of steps.  We made a poster of it and we put his car (just a green hotwheels car) on the block he is on.  When he moves to the "You got it!" Block, we party a bit.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I love this "Regroup, Review, Replay, and Retake" method, sounds like my plan for my kids, but I like it laid out like that so I can tell them that's what they will do!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts