Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Jinx-Troublex3
All heck broke loose...
May 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM
The "to do" post made me do a delegate one...

We have been homeschooling 6 years and DS1 has always been pretty good about getting things done. This fall he wanted to go back to regular public school (he was pulled in 3rd grade) for high school. That lasted 4 days before we returned him to the charter school.

Through fall and winter we noticed depression and suicidal thought and got him a councilor. About 3 weeks ago we started an antidepressant.

This past Friday he ran away from my parent's house. He was pissed because they expected him to get his minimum of school work done. He went into a major rage, grabbed my mom by the arm to pull her out of his way to leave, and took out across the "high dessert/ semi-mountianous terrain. He was missing 3 hours....

Anyway...that resulted in him losing ALL privileges and USS returning to a full "school at home" schedule. School started at 10 am with 45 min per subject. Then a 15 min break. If he finished in 25 min then he still only got a 15 min break and moved to the next subject.

I really hated resorting to this but it worked well. He was done by 2:330 and completed all subjects. He even admitted it worked better than he thought.

So Monday to do was get DS1 back on track and as much as I want to be relaxed, it is obvious he needs the structure to function.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 7, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    Sorry that your son is having a hard time, I hope that you can all help him with the things that he needs to be better.
  • Precious333
    May 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM
    Hugs mama. My sister had very similar behavoir from stress and other emotional distress, ran away several times and hit my mom once and then went out if control at my dads where they had to call the police. She was sent to rehabilitation for 24 hrs and.learned she was using drugs Im not saying your son is using drugs, but maybe tge anitdepressants are having a negatice effect on him. My dh was depressed and suicidal in highschool and his antidepressants made him worse.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    May 7, 2013 at 7:20 AM
    I'm so sorry. I hope you are both able to get through this. A friend of mine is going through something similar but her daughter is bipolar. I wish I had some advice but all I have are ears and hugs!
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    May 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM
    Thanks ladies...it's a long road.

My best friend's son has bipolar disorder and other issues. It isn't that.

I can guarantee he isn't doing drugs. He hasn't been anywhere to access them and I know what is in the house. I started counting and locking up meds when this all started.

He did say he didn't take his meds while at my parent's house and he had a nasty head cold that could have contributed to the degree of the meltdown.

He has a therapist appointment today. We will see what he says.
  • Precious333
    May 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    Gl! Let us know how it goes! Many hugs!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Thanks ladies...it's a long road.

My best friend's son has bipolar disorder and other issues. It isn't that.

I can guarantee he isn't doing drugs. He hasn't been anywhere to access them and I know what is in the house. I started counting and locking up meds when this all started.

He did say he didn't take his meds while at my parent's house and he had a nasty head cold that could have contributed to the degree of the meltdown.

He has a therapist appointment today. We will see what he says.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 7, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    Awesome, the teen years are hard. I hope this was a one off kind of event.

If the rage keeps happening, it might be the meds he is on. A few of the ones I took would cause blinding rages as a teen. 8( back in the day, they gave teens stuff that hadn't been tested out on younger folk. I thought I was just going nuts. Now, they are much more aware of the side effects on teens. 8)
  • Jinx-Troublex3
    May 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM

He was having the rage before the meds.  I will keep the input in mind...

God bless the older generation, but my Dad just wasn't prepared to handle Ian getting upset. He is the kind that you do what you are told and respect your elders so when Ian started getting angry and back talking, Dad pushed harder instead of backing offand giving him room to cool down. I did well under their parenting tactics, and it has taken me a lot  to learn to deal with DS myself.  If it were jut outright disrespect, that would be different but there is obviously something bigger going on in his brain. 

I "think" the meds are helping. he seems to be a bit more in control and he says he feels better. We just may not have found the right dose, or need to try something different. We wil lkeep on top of it. 

Quoting mem82:

Awesome, the teen years are hard. I hope this was a one off kind of event.

If the rage keeps happening, it might be the meds he is on. A few of the ones I took would cause blinding rages as a teen. 8( back in the day, they gave teens stuff that hadn't been tested out on younger folk. I thought I was just going nuts. Now, they are much more aware of the side effects on teens. 8)

• SusanTheWriter
    May 7, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Been there, done that. We have to deal with DD's depression cycles and it's thrown us off schedule badly. Really badly. Like, we'll have to work most of the summer to catch up.

It was a catch-22 for us. I'd make a schedule - even a light one - she'd start to crack, then I'd have to back off completely to put her back together, and by then we'd be hopelessly behind. So back to schedule, crack, put back together. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm exhausted and we haven't even accomplished much.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN