Homeschooling Moms

mem82
What happens when kids don't do homework?
by mem82
May 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Here's an article about a school from the 70's or so that was like unschooling except at school. Interesting perspectives from the now adult children.

CLICK ME!

Replies

• chotovec82
    May 6, 2013 at 7:19 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. Those kids still well without the structure of a "school" environment. I do not grade and I do not test. We do have scheduled school time but it's 2 hours out of the day. I watch my kids do their work and we go over it together once they have finished it. If they miss some of their questions; I reteach it while we are going over it. Most of the day they are allowed to play and learn through those experiences. We aren't even very scheduled. I let them play all day and take two hours out of the evening to do work in. It's working for us and seems less stressful for all of us.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    May 6, 2013 at 7:21 PM
    Bumping for reading later
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

There are schools still to this day that are like that, I would have considered sending my kids to one if there had been one here when we first started homeschooling.

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    sounds neat but I wonder what they do for kids that are interested in things other than art. Do you have encouragement in the higher sciences. I ask because my son wanted to study Chemistry at 8 and physics at 9. Homework does not help. It is so important to be able to follow a child's interests. I life the life of fred's quote: Children get more out a few problems done in joy than 30 problems drill and kill exercises.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    I don't know what this school did, but it sounds like there were teachers there ready to teach anything the kids wanted to learn.

Quoting jen2150:

sounds neat but I wonder what they do for kids that are interested in things other than art. Do you have encouragement in the higher sciences. I ask because my son wanted to study Chemistry at 8 and physics at 9. Homework does not help. It is so important to be able to follow a child's interests.

I life the life of fred's quote: Children get more out a few problems done in joy than 30 problems drill and kill exercises.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    May 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    I haven't really heard of them.

Quoting usmom3:

There are schools still to this day that are like that, I would have considered sending my kids to one if there had been one here when we first started homeschooling.

• Momof697
    May 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I could not get to article

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    I'm sorry. I'm on my tablet so I can't check it. It was an article from yahoo! Shine

Quoting Momof697:

• Momof697
    May 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I tried a couple times and could not get it. IT said it may be down or may have moved temporarily.

Quoting mem82:

I'm sorry. I'm on my tablet so I can't check it. It was an article from yahoo! Shine

Quoting Momof697:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

See if this one works

Link Here

Quoting Momof697:

I tried a couple times and could not get it. IT said it may be down or may have moved temporarily.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Momof697:

Homeschooling Moms