Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
QueenCreole313
Battling Childhood Obesity
May 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Hey ladies. I needed a bit of help and you ladies always give great advice. My son (and I) both need to shed some weight. My son would be considered obese (so would I). We started walking today and my son was acting like he was dying. (He's so dramatic.) I don't want him to be out of shape or obese. But, I also want to motivate him to be more active. He doesn't like team sports. 

So, do you ladies know how I can make this more fun for him? Or do I just push through knowing he may be uncomfortable for a while. 

Thanks in advance! 

Replies

• 20ACE13
    by 20ACE13
    May 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Find a way to make it fun or he will hate it and if you hate it you aren't going to do it when you don't HAVE to.  I had a weight problem my entire childhood being considered obease by the time I was 8 and every time my mother tried to get me to exercise with her I hated it because it was absolutley no fun and to me there was other better things i could be doing. So I suggest you find a way to make a game out of your exercise so that he doesnt just dewll on how much he hates it.

• MidwestMama55
    May 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

How old is your son? Does he understand he needs to lose weight? Ultimately the motivation will have to come from him.

• firehorse13
    May 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I've had to ease my kids into being more active since the weather got nicer. They play Wii fitness games all the time (thats one of the main ways I kept them active this winter). I have them help me in the garden, and they ride their scooters after they get bored.  My kids all love to read, so they don't mind walking to the library a few times a week.  Start small and good luck!

• almondpigeon
    May 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Keep trying different things until you find something he likes. My oldest son was like that...he acted like it killed him to exercise. He started going back to public school in January & his PE class does a lot of basketball. Jace really likes it. Now, he gets home from school and plays ball with the younger kids. Since starting school, he's lost almost 30 lbs! He didn't even know he liked basketball until he was forced to do it in PE.
  • QueenCreole313
    May 6, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Quoting MidwestMama55:

How old is your son? Does he understand he needs to lose weight? Ultimately the motivation will have to come from him.

He is 10. I think he does. He would prefer to do the Kinect/Wii but I"m not positive that's a real source of exercise. I'll talk with him and see what he would like to do. 

• MidwestMama55
    May 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with you that the Wii is not a great source of exercise. I'd make sure he's been cleared by the pediatrician for exercise, and move forward.  I think it's great you are doing it with him.  Maybe walk at the park where he can play on the playground when you are done.  Good luck to both of you!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Quoting MidwestMama55:

He is 10. I think he does. He would prefer to do the Kinect/Wii but I"m not positive that's a real source of exercise. I'll talk with him and see what he would like to do. 

• KrissyKC
    May 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I have my eldest two each in 1 sport.   We ride bikes and scooters.   Just going to the park and making sure we get outside time helps.  Even if they are just playing in the mud, they are still bending and moving around and not eating or watching TV.   They will occasionally enjoy a kids excercise video from the library, but I don't push these all the time.   We will get one and do it for a week or two and then skip it.

We swim a lot, too... swim lessons.  

It's hard for me, because I was raised in an abusive home where my mother made me sit still all the time, but then complained that I was fat and lazy.   I am now, very much a couch potato.   I'm overweight, diabetic, etc..   it's hard for me to have the drive to go go go...  However, I do get in the water and swim with the kids, I ride the razor scooter with them, we go on walks...  

I'm trying to give them a better life than I had...

• coala
    by coala
    May 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I am the one in my house the needs to get in shape.  I have started working out with a friend.  My kids have been eating this up b/c they can ride their bikes while Momma and Daddy skate around the block with them.  Problem is one of us has to go slow b/c our LO has teeny tiny legs and can't keep up.  I am the one that has to go slower.  I say find something that he enjoys.  It may be taking bikes out to a trail and riding or skating.  He needs to find something that he likes doing or it is going to be a struggle.  I hope you both find something that you enjoy doing together.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Wii sports, dance or exercise games. Also think about taking up a sport together like tennis, golf, swimming, weight lifting or  going to play laser tag (that is a work out in itself).

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    May 6, 2013 at 3:10 PM

ive not read the replies but music or a story tape

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email