Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Maridel
Portfolio ?
by Maridel
May 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

For those who are required by state to keep portfolio... what do you keep? Just the best samples? or do you keep work they stuggled on to show improvement? I was basically just keeping all her workbooks but at the end of first grade, I'm realizing thats going to take up a lot of space, especially x3 kids. I want to get creative about it, but I want it to be simple and straightforward. Like, I'm using Math U See now, I was thinking of just keeping her tests for the end of each lesson. Any tips?

Replies

• celticdragon77
    May 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I use this particular evaluator and she has a list of requirements on her website 

http://www.itesteval.com/getting_started.shtml

It might help you out a bit.

I do my portfolio differently than most people. I haven't homeschooled in the past few years, but this is how I did it in the past and how I plan on doing it in the future. It is what works for us. 

My kids keep a homeschool blog. So we take a lot of pictures and scan images of some of their work to the computer - for the purpose of the blog. This is fun for the kids to do and shows our family and friends what we are up to. Plus, is a lasting memory for my kids. Since we have this stuff stored on the computer anyways, for the purpose of the blog, I just put all the saved documents onto one of those USB wands. For our state requirements, I also have to document our reading lists and attendance records (my school district isn't satisfied with just check marking a calendar - they want a list of subjects done and for how long). I also have to document field trips and such (these are usually with the pictures). 

My evaluator fills out a form for me to hand to the school, puts it in an Manila envelop and puts the wand in it, and I ALWAYS hand deliver it to the main school districts offices - where I then sign a book they have for homeschoolers saying that they were there and handed in their portfolio. I have heard of too many people say that the school districts lost their portfolios - but usually they mailed it. 

• romacox
    by romacox
    May 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Every State has its own requirements.  In fact, in Florida, some school districts have their own requirements that differ from County to County.  Our State Home School Association has regional directors we can contact so we have all the details needed to meet our state and county laws.  Play it safe by calling your State Home School Association for direction on portfolios. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

We have a few different things we are doing.  My dd has a few websites she created for different subjects.  As for the "paper" part of the portfolio, I plan on getting 3 (English, math and science) pages from the beginning of the year, 3 pages from the middle of the year and 3 pages from the end of the year, put them in a folder and label it and date it.

Depending on where you live, you really should check with the district to make sure you have everything you need.  I do not have to  turn them in, we just have to keep them and maybe show them to the evaluator.

• No_Difference
    May 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I show worst and best work so there is proof of improvement. I put in a DVD/CD with video and pictures of projects we worked on, and samples of how my daughter has been reading outloud (since it's something she struggles with reading, we recorder her reading aloud every few weeks so she can hear herself and can hear how she can improve, and also reflect on how shes improved).
    For where I am, I don't have to turn the portfolio into the board of ed, just have to turn in the narrative written about the portfolio by a licensed teachers, but I keep the portfolios just in case (and many times, a lot of their other work too).

• mommy4lyf
    May 5, 2013 at 10:46 AM
    Our state doesn't require it but I kept every worksheets he completed and sort them according to dates and subjects.
  • KrissyKC
    May 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I got an accordion style folder for each kid.   Labeled 2 subjects per accordion...

The kids pick what they put in there...  They basically put anything in that took extra work or was exceptional.   There are weeks that go by and they forget to put anything in there, and there are times I suggest it's getting too full and we get rid of a few things.  Otherwise, it's their portfolio.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I usually show the first page and last page of each subject section. I also list books, documentaries and field trips.

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    May 6, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    Thanks for the tips everyone! :-)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts