Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Notice from the PS...
May 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We got a notice about SD from the school yesterday (still ps for now) saying they have decided to give her extra time to take the standardized tests next week.  She could definitely use extra time to finish things, when she feels rushed she doesn't do as well.

But my first thought was, how about her spelling tests? Math tests?  Reading tests?  All the regular classroom tests that she doesn't do great on...no one gives her extra time for those, but when it's the state standardized tests, the school is all about accomodations.

She doesn't need crazy accomodations, she doesn't have an IEP or 504 or anything like that.  She is quiet, a good kid, and barely on level, she just gets pushed ahead.  A big reason I want to HS her, she can go at her own pace and catch up on some of the things she has yet to master in ps. 

My stack of reasons to HS just keeps getting bigger. 

Replies

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    May 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I'm glad you're homeschooling her then.  It's amazing how the list of "reasons to homeschool" gets longer once you decide to homeschool and start. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 4, 2013 at 8:50 AM

It's amazing to me that they will make all kinds of accommodations for the "standardized tests" and yet let them be rushed on anything else.  Both my daughters are considered "gifted" and when it comes to tests and them being rushed, they are terrible.  I hs only one of them (the other one wants to be in her collegiate school and is doing well.  She took her last standardized test this year...Yay no more).

Isn't it funny how things start stacking up when we hs?  Just wait until you actually start doing it, the stack really gets high and your daughter will so excel it will totally amaze you and her.  That is what it is all about.

• TJandKarasMom
    May 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM

My DH is concerned about me HSing her.  He thinks DS will be fine with it but he's worried about me and SD having issues.  She is my stepdaughter, but we have her ALL the time, she calls me mom and I have been raising her since she was a baby, she's my DD for all intents and purposes.

But...when she comes home with homework she doesn't understand we end up fighting sometimes.  She is so easily frustrated which gets me frustrated.  She just sits there saying "it's impossible." or "I can't do it" and it drives me crazy!  I keep telling DH that when we are home together all day, it will actually be better...she will have that one on one time with me (while DS does independent work), she won't have the stress of other kids at school doing better or her teacher not liking her or fighting with her friends, the list goes on.  It will take some time, but I really think in the long run, we will do fine and hopefully enjoy each other a lot more with a lot less stress. 

Quoting leighp1:

It's amazing to me that they will make all kinds of accommodations for the "standardized tests" and yet let them be rushed on anything else.  Both my daughters are considered "gifted" and when it comes to tests and them being rushed, they are terrible.  I hs only one of them (the other one wants to be in her collegiate school and is doing well.  She took her last standardized test this year...Yay no more).

Isn't it funny how things start stacking up when we hs?  Just wait until you actually start doing it, the stack really gets high and your daughter will so excel it will totally amaze you and her.  That is what it is all about.

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

What will be totally amazing to both you and your dh is how much she won't get as frustrated because she has you teaching her and not someone teaching the entire class and a teacher that has to hurry up  and move onto a new subject.  Plus (this is why I love hs the most) if it gets frustrating one day, then we skip it and come back the next day.  We don't let it get to us.  By doing it that way, my 5th grader is working on 9th grade math.  Its just amazing.  And my dh was totally against me hs'ing.  Just hang in there and don't push her.  She will love you more for it.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

My DH is concerned about me HSing her.  He thinks DS will be fine with it but he's worried about me and SD having issues.  She is my stepdaughter, but we have her ALL the time, she calls me mom and I have been raising her since she was a baby, she's my DD for all intents and purposes.

But...when she comes home with homework she doesn't understand we end up fighting sometimes.  She is so easily frustrated which gets me frustrated.  She just sits there saying "it's impossible." or "I can't do it" and it drives me crazy!  I keep telling DH that when we are home together all day, it will actually be better...she will have that one on one time with me (while DS does independent work), she won't have the stress of other kids at school doing better or her teacher not liking her or fighting with her friends, the list goes on.  It will take some time, but I really think in the long run, we will do fine and hopefully enjoy each other a lot more with a lot less stress. 

• ablessedlife
    May 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    They are giving her extra time on the standardized tests because those are the tests that determine the image/status of the school and the funding it receives from the government. Just shows again that they care about THEMSELVES, not the students. They are not doing it for her benefit.
  • Bluecalm
    May 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM
    How can she get extra time on the standardized tests if she's not 504 or SPED? I chaired both committees at my school and the forms for extended time were due in to the state department well in advance. Also all accomodations given on the standardized tests must be given on a regular basis in the classroom.
  • Leissaintexas
    May 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yep, the almighty Standardized Test, the one their funding is based on... makes perfect sense that they'd do everything possible to get her passing that!

• TJandKarasMom
    May 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    I have no idea. I work in the district and have a good understanding of all of that. The letter was like a premade one with different things to check off (extra time, teacher scribing long responses, adult reading to the child, etc). I was really surprised to see it since she doesn't get any services and the school hasn't even recommended anything for her (she did do the summer program after 1st grade, but other than that nothing).

Also, it wasn't like a request to us, it was just a statement. I don't care as long as the other kids don't give her a hard time about it, but it annoys me that they want to do it when it counts for the school.

Quoting Bluecalm:

How can she get extra time on the standardized tests if she's not 504 or SPED? I chaired both committees at my school and the forms for extended time were due in to the state department well in advance. Also all accomodations given on the standardized tests must be given on a regular basis in the classroom.

• TJandKarasMom
    May 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    My thoughts exactly. I've worked in this district officially for 3 years and subbed for 2 years before that. Thinking this is such a great district, they really care about the kids....but over the past year or so I'm seeing how blind I was to all of it. I can't wait to hs them, I really hope everything works out so I can. I keep saying 'where there's a will there's a way'

Quoting ablessedlife:

They are giving her extra time on the standardized tests because those are the tests that determine the image/status of the school and the funding it receives from the government. Just shows again that they care about THEMSELVES, not the students. They are not doing it for her benefit.

• TJandKarasMom
    May 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    That's what I think and hope...we can take a break any time it's too hard, we can cater to her learning style, we can spend more time on stuff she likes, we will have more time together without the stress of getting ready for school or getting ready for bed. I really think it will end up bring great for all of us.

Now to just make it work financially!

Quoting leighp1:

What will be totally amazing to both you and your dh is how much she won't get as frustrated because she has you teaching her and not someone teaching the entire class and a teacher that has to hurry up  and move onto a new subject.  Plus (this is why I love hs the most) if it gets frustrating one day, then we skip it and come back the next day.  We don't let it get to us.  By doing it that way, my 5th grader is working on 9th grade math.  Its just amazing.  And my dh was totally against me hs'ing.  Just hang in there and don't push her.  She will love you more for it.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts