Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
TJandKarasMom
Notice from the PS...
May 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

We got a notice about SD from the school yesterday (still ps for now) saying they have decided to give her extra time to take the standardized tests next week.  She could definitely use extra time to finish things, when she feels rushed she doesn't do as well.

But my first thought was, how about her spelling tests? Math tests?  Reading tests?  All the regular classroom tests that she doesn't do great on...no one gives her extra time for those, but when it's the state standardized tests, the school is all about accomodations.

She doesn't need crazy accomodations, she doesn't have an IEP or 504 or anything like that.  She is quiet, a good kid, and barely on level, she just gets pushed ahead.  A big reason I want to HS her, she can go at her own pace and catch up on some of the things she has yet to master in ps. 

My stack of reasons to HS just keeps getting bigger. 

Replies

• TJandKarasMom
    May 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    It's frustrating. And it's not like she wouldn't pass, she will just get a higher score with more time. But they can't give her some extra time on the spelling tests she gets 60's and 70's on. It makes no sense. If they could help her master the skills in every day schoolwork, she wouldn't need extra time for the stupid standardized test.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Yep, the almighty Standardized Test, the one their funding is based on... makes perfect sense that they'd do everything possible to get her passing that!

• Jenn8604
    May 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    I liked for your last sentence.
    Hopefully she can get done w her testing fine. I could never get rushed either or I ALWAYS did bad.
  • Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    May 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM

It is because the school and certain memebers get bonuses and more money if a certain amount of kids pass standarized tests.  This is the reason why teachers cheated on the tests in the Atlanta school system.  It all comes down to money now a days.

• celticdragon77
    May 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My kids say the school has someone sit with them to "help find the answers". 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts