Homeschooling Moms

AFWifeNMommy04
Hello ladies! I am new here. =)
May 4, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Hello everyone!
I am new to this group and to homeschooling as well. DH and I have four children. We have 3 boys (ages 8, 6, and almost 3) and 1 girl (16 months). A good friend of mine has been helping to encourage to me to home school. I have always had a fear that I would mess up and my children would suffer greatly from it.
Recently the seqestration has brought some changes to the school my oldest boys attend, and I don't feel like they are meeting or will meet their full potential in this school, so I decided to give homeschooling a try.
After some research, I purchased The Weaver Curriculum. Has anyone had any experience with this? I also bought the day by day guide in hopes that it will give me a nice set up. I am thinking of using Math U See and Teaching Textbooks for our math. Is there another math program that would work well with what we are using?
Being so new to this, I'm sure I will have tons of questions.
Thank you all in advance for any help/advice you can give!

Replies

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    May 4, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Welcome, glad to have you with us. I have a daughter who is six and sone who is four. I am not familiar with weaver, I have heard of it but never used it. Last year we used liberty before I realized traditional curriculum just doesn't work with my unique kids. We do a combination of different methods. You have signed up to a good group. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    May 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Welcome to the group.  I don't use that curriculum, but wanted to welcome you.  I have a hs daughter who is 11 and a collegiate school daughter who is 15.

• romacox
    by romacox
    May 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I have never used Weaver, but here are some independent reviews 

Math U See is excellent. 

Ring Around The Phonics is excellent for Language arts...especially good for active children, hands on learners, and children with learning disabilities. 

• DyslexiaParent
    May 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Welcome to homeschooling!  We used Math U See and liked it quite well.  I didn't use Weaver, but it is supposed to be a good curriculum.  I've been at this awhile (a decade), so feel free to ask any questions you have and feel free to email me privately if you want.  Homeschooling has been a GREAT choice for us! ;-)

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 4, 2013 at 8:16 PM
    Welcome! Math U See is highly recommended.
  • motheroffour186
    May 4, 2013 at 8:21 PM
    No i have not use this. Welcome to the group I test my children to see what how they learn in school and then how they learning styles.

Quoting AFWifeNMommy04:

Hello everyone!
    I am new to this group and to homeschooling as well. DH and I have four children. We have 3 boys (ages 8, 6, and almost 3) and 1 girl (16 months). A good friend of mine has been helping to encourage to me to home school. I have always had a fear that I would mess up and my children would suffer greatly from it.
    Recently the seqestration has brought some changes to the school my oldest boys attend, and I don't feel like they are meeting or will meet their full potential in this school, so I decided to give homeschooling a try.
    After some research, I purchased The Weaver Curriculum. Has anyone had any experience with this? I also bought the day by day guide in hopes that it will give me a nice set up. I am thinking of using Math U See and Teaching Textbooks for our math. Is there another math program that would work well with what we are using?
    Being so new to this, I'm sure I will have tons of questions.
    Thank you all in advance for any help/advice you can give!

• maggiemom2000
    May 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Teaching textbooks is great. I like that the kids can do it independently if we want.

Another one you might want to consider is Aleks http://www.aleks.com/homeschool

I also like time4learning.com for math http://www.time4learning.com (the subscritpion covers all subjects but you don't have to use them all. We used it mostly for math and grammar)

• lovevamp
    May 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
    Hi I'm Shannon and new to hs too. I'm going to hs in the fall. I have 2 kids dd is 9 and ds is almost 7. Dh and I have decide to use Calvert since they lay everything out for you and you can just follow the program.
    We thought since its our 1st time it would be easier to handle

ETA ds is almost 8 lol
  • Mommynay2
    May 5, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Welcome to the group. I also use time4learning.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Teaching textbooks is great. I like that the kids can do it independently if we want.

Another one you might want to consider is Aleks http://www.aleks.com/homeschool

I also like time4learning.com for math http://www.time4learning.com (the subscritpion covers all subjects but you don't have to use them all. We used it mostly for math and grammar)

• AFWifeNMommy04
    May 5, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Thank you for the 'welcomes'! I will be sure to check out all the links that were posted. I greatly appreciate all your help! =)

Homeschooling Moms