Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Dawn07
I'm stupid because I was home schooled.
by Dawn07
May 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My ds stayed the night at his g-grandparents house. While there I got a phone call from my cousin asking if her fiance could come to ds' b-day party tomorrow. Grandpa asked wasn't she dating a black guy. I said she was not anymore. He said well at least she isn't marrying him. I told him it doesn't matter what color they were. He said it's not them marrying that's the problem, it's their byproduct. Yep, that's what he called them. He said because they are mixed the whites won't except them and the blacks wont except them. I said I know this can be true but I have mixed cousins and that it isn't always the case. He said well you wouldn't know, you were sheltered and naive and don't know what's going on in the world because you were home schooled. I was furious! I told him just because I was home schooled doesn't mean I'm stupid and dont know anything.

I've been out of school for about 9 years. I mean even if I were then, doesn't mean I am now. All I could do was pack up the kids and leave. Seriously if you think I'm stupid because I was homeschooled, what do you think about your g-grandkids, because guess what, they are being home schooled.

Replies

• KickButtMama
    May 3, 2013 at 11:18 PM

OMG, that is so old school! What's funny is I remember I flirted with a mixed race kid when I was a teen and my parents said the same...now, (a few) years later, they are divorced and Both are married to African Americans! Go figure. 

But, yes, I'd rather my kids be sheltered and ignorant of such absurd observations....if that makes them Home School Supid, then we will wear that banner proudly while we give equal love to our friends and family no matter their race, sex, sexual affiliation, religious leanings, political belief, etc.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 3, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I think some of the most beautiful people on the earth are mixed & everyone loves beutifal people!

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 3, 2013 at 11:39 PM
    My cousin is beautiful. I've always loved her eyes.

Quoting usmom3:

I think some of the most beautiful people on the earth are mixed & everyone loves beutifal people!

• mom2Bellarose
    May 4, 2013 at 1:07 AM

:( I am so sorry

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    May 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Wow I wouldn't even know how to respond to that. I'm sorry you had to deal with such closed minded ness on so many levels. 

hugs

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    Besides my outburst about not knowing anything and being stupid because I was homeschooled, I wasn't sure what else to say either. And because of the party I get to see him again today. Yay!....not.
  • ablessedlife
    May 4, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    I'm sorry that happened to you.
    All I can think of is payback. Next time the opportunity arises, you say, oh you wouldn't know about that cause you're too old and aren't with the times.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    I so had that thought run through my head last night.

Quoting ablessedlife:

I'm sorry that happened to you.

All I can think of is payback. Next time the opportunity arises, you say, oh you wouldn't know about that cause you're too old and aren't with the times.
  • ablessedlife
    May 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    "So you're saying that in school they would have taught me to be more discerning/prejudice about race? Good thing we ditched that place!"
  • ablessedlife
    May 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    Really, if he would just use those old old brains, he would see that you have been taught better.
    Problem is, he thinks you're naive. Perhaps explain to him that having good values and adhering to them doesn't mean you are clueless about the evil around us.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN