Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Dawn07
I'm stupid because I was home schooled.
by Dawn07
May 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

My ds stayed the night at his g-grandparents house. While there I got a phone call from my cousin asking if her fiance could come to ds' b-day party tomorrow. Grandpa asked wasn't she dating a black guy. I said she was not anymore. He said well at least she isn't marrying him. I told him it doesn't matter what color they were. He said it's not them marrying that's the problem, it's their byproduct. Yep, that's what he called them. He said because they are mixed the whites won't except them and the blacks wont except them. I said I know this can be true but I have mixed cousins and that it isn't always the case. He said well you wouldn't know, you were sheltered and naive and don't know what's going on in the world because you were home schooled. I was furious! I told him just because I was home schooled doesn't mean I'm stupid and dont know anything.

I've been out of school for about 9 years. I mean even if I were then, doesn't mean I am now. All I could do was pack up the kids and leave. Seriously if you think I'm stupid because I was homeschooled, what do you think about your g-grandkids, because guess what, they are being home schooled.

Replies

• Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 4, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    It's not my grandparents it's my husbands. I actually kinda knew his opinion. It's his opinion. What got me really upset was the homeschool thing.

Quoting debramommyof4:

You have to understand that your great grandparents are from a different generation.  My grandfather is in his 90's.  When I married my husband I told the family if they ever wanted to see me again I would not hear racisted remarks.  My hometown and some of my family are very racisted.  But anyway my grandfather asked my mom, not me, what I was doing with that N word.  (My husband is Asian Indian.)  We talked about it, and because he was not rude to us  when we went and would never say something like that to a child we would just forget about it. 

If my grandfather said something about homeschooling I would ask him not to say anything to the kids.  Just because he thinks your kids are sheltered and dont know about racisted people thats not a big deal.  Being sheltered and naive is not all bad. 

• debramommyof4
    May 4, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I understand.   Depending on your kids ages I would explain that he may not agree but this is what you feel is best for them and that there is nothing wrong with learning to be tolerant.

Quoting Dawn07:

It's not my grandparents it's my husbands. I actually kinda knew his opinion. It's his opinion. What got me really upset was the homeschool thing.

Quoting debramommyof4:

You have to understand that your great grandparents are from a different generation.  My grandfather is in his 90's.  When I married my husband I told the family if they ever wanted to see me again I would not hear racisted remarks.  My hometown and some of my family are very racisted.  But anyway my grandfather asked my mom, not me, what I was doing with that N word.  (My husband is Asian Indian.)  We talked about it, and because he was not rude to us  when we went and would never say something like that to a child we would just forget about it. 

If my grandfather said something about homeschooling I would ask him not to say anything to the kids.  Just because he thinks your kids are sheltered and dont know about racisted people thats not a big deal.  Being sheltered and naive is not all bad. 

• MrsImperfect
    May 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    Thats acceptable with his time period. He was probably raised like that. Its hard for people to changethat. My husbands uncles father was the nicest old man ever. But was racist as shit. And when he talked to me and commented about it I didnt know what to do. EEspecially since my sister is half black and all my nieces and nephews are full black. He just didnt get it. So everyone just ignored his racist remarks..
  • mommy4lyf
    May 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    Sooo sad some people are.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Your children are adorable!

Quoting NoraDun:

I was so dumb after homeschooling my 11th and 12th grade year that I married the love of my life, one of the best men I know! And we have four beautiful children (#4 is still growing in my belly) that also will grow up dumb....AND unexcepted :)

Forgive your Grandparents, they were raised in a different generation! Although its not an excuse I see it often. The thing is, there are far more people who excpet my children then people who don't. And my children don't need to be around those who don't.

My parents had concerns when I fell in love at 14, and got married at 18 to my Hubby. But 13 yrs later, 9 yrs married, and they see how amazing my life is. And how blessed we are. They were against homeschooling as well until I began homeschooling, and now they are thrilled. And they can see how much better they are doing, and how much different they act compared to many of the public school children they are around!

I am sorry that you have to deal with this issue with them.

• ablessedlife
    May 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM
    Quoting NoraDun:

Yes, you paved the way! Beginnings are often hard. You were the ones to bring change so that others could do what you did.
  • homeschoolx3
    May 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I'm sorry, but Grandpa is being racist! I homeschool too, but most of the homeschoolers around here are anything but sheltered, guided but not sheltered to the point they have no idea what is going on in the world. One of my youngest daughter's best friends is mixed race. You are in NO way stupid just because you were homeschooled, in fact it is apparently just the opposite! You go girl! Dont ever let anyone try to tell you otherwise.

• homeschoolx3
    May 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Dawn07:

Your children are adorable!

Quoting NoraDun:

I was so dumb after homeschooling my 11th and 12th grade year that I married the love of my life, one of the best men I know! And we have four beautiful children (#4 is still growing in my belly) that also will grow up dumb....AND unexcepted :)

Forgive your Grandparents, they were raised in a different generation! Although its not an excuse I see it often. The thing is, there are far more people who excpet my children then people who don't. And my children don't need to be around those who don't.

My parents had concerns when I fell in love at 14, and got married at 18 to my Hubby. But 13 yrs later, 9 yrs married, and they see how amazing my life is. And how blessed we are. They were against homeschooling as well until I began homeschooling, and now they are thrilled. And they can see how much better they are doing, and how much different they act compared to many of the public school children they are around!

I am sorry that you have to deal with this issue with them.

Your kids are beautiful! baby giftyou rock

• tuffymama
    May 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    I had a boss when I worked in a certain department at the hospital (I have a LOT of stories from that place lol) who had some nasty things to say about mixed race children after she met one of my friends and her little boy. She (the boss) just couldn't let it go and the remarks went on for days. Finally, I told her, "you are free to believe that shit, but don't spread it all over me." That shut her up about it.

(Of course, that wasn't the end of her bigotry and bizarre behavior, and yes, I did make complaints through the proper channels, but bureaucracy is SLOW.)

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts