Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
FootballFan12
Do you hover?
May 3, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Do you hover when your kids are doing their lessons, or do they mostly work independently?

Replies

• somuchlove4U
    May 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Mostly work independently.
  • Dawn07
    by Dawn07
    May 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    Yes, if I don't shell play the whole time.
  • SusanTheWriter
    May 3, 2013 at 3:21 PM

It depends. She can work independently, but she has to work at the kitchen table or in the living room to stay on task. If she works in her room, nothing gets done. So I don't "hover," but my presence is felt.

• coala
    by coala
    May 3, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I try to get them to work independently.  They do a good job of it....except right now they are bothering each other which tends to happen when I walk away.  LOL

• KrissyKC
    May 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Depends on the child.   My 8 yr old boy likes to get his work done and such... so most of the time, he can be fairly independent when needed.  

My 11 yr old girl, however, is opposite.   If you leave her to do ANYTHING... she will pick at her toes, fingers, draw imaginary circles on the table or wall with her fingers... she'll pick at a piece of tape or a sticker... etc.   She has to be checked on frequently.  It doesn't matter WHAT the incentive is... however we are starting to think about having her evaluated for being potentially on the spectrum or maybe ADD that comes out as inattentiveness mainly.   She struggles with life in general.

My 5 yr old, though she hasn't started yet and is too young to be independent anyway really... she has signs of being like her sister only with some serious hyperactivity involved.

• melindabelcher
    Mel
    May 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Marcus is 5yo and we do a combination of independent and joint tasks.
    Math is largely together with a few independent tasks a week. Writing is almost always independent with sporadic supervision. Reading is entirely supervised
  • No_Difference
    May 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM

My duaghter (8) works independently for the most part. My son (4) does not lol. But its also not structured for him yet. I have a feeling when we do "officially" start with him, I'll have to keep a close eye on him...

• JCB911
    by JCB911
    May 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM

This is our first year.  DS is 5, doing 1st grade work. I'd say it's 50/50. Handwriting and most math is independent - but he's at the kitchen table and I'm putting dishes away, or folding laundry at the counter.  So, I'm not sitting right there, but I am in the room.  He has no set pattern though, some days he does better when I'm away from the table/kitchen and other days he wants me at the table with him.  

The rest of what we do involves me reading or doing with him.

• KickButtMama
    May 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Both? It really depends on the day and their mood. They sometimes want me right there, other times they want to work alone. I try to respect their space request.

• Leissaintexas
    May 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Just this year my dd started taking all her work to her room and getting it done completely on her own. She's 12. My 10 yr old ds is getting there, but I still have to swing through the room and remind him to focus. He's so easily distracted that just the cat walking through the room can stop everything in its tracks. We finally figured out that putting his favorite blanket over his head works really well to block out distractions LOL.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts