Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
southernwldchld
Torn and a little bit vent-y
May 3, 2013 at 4:06 AM

My 9 year old ds has Sensory Processing Disorder. He's been in therapy and was released saying that what was done at therapy was able to be done at the home level. 

We do his therapies, we acknowledge situations he needs more help in, we don't let it rule our lives or his. Now at 9 we have moved past the more obnoxious aspects, we don't have screaming fits anymore, we don't have horribly defiant behavior. It's been kind of nice actually. 

There are still a host of annoying issues, but compared to the past they're a cakewalk.

What I'm torn with is the idea of training my "right brained child" to be a "left brained child". 

Yes he's dyslexic, yes he has sensory issues.

But, there are so many WONDERFUL things.

He is spectacular at math, I mean scary good at math. He grasps science concepts with so much ease that I am constantly trying to challenge him. Technology is a piece of cake for him. Once we found the right way to explain it and the right tools to help him, his reading took off and he's almost two years ahead. 

What would he be losing in this "brain integration therapy"?

Why does he *have* to be a left brained kid?

Why does he have to fit some standard mold of how someone is supposed to think?

I would rather use the techniques learned in therapy to help him work with his abilities. Not change him. 

Supposedly Einstein was a right brained person, what would we have lost if someone had decided to "integrate" him??

*DS's therapist is pushing this idea and I'm just not really buying into it. 

Replies

• chotovec82
    May 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    I've also been looking into right brain vs. left brain because my almost three year old is speech apraxic (sp?). I read that you want to balance their brains so that they don't have any learning issues. I haven't tried any of the techniques yet... Not sure if it's for me. A friend gave me a bunch of links to youtube videos of therapies that help and books but I'm unsure....
  • Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    May 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM

We are just starting our journey with sensory processing disorder. Yesterday I stumbled upon this website. 

http://www.livingjoyfully.ca/anneo/Highly_Sensitive_Shine.htm

• celticdragon77
    May 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I do not have a child with any of these issues, but this seems like such a great subject to dive deeper into. Would you mind recommending some books about the right vs left brain - balancing them. 

Quoting chotovec82:

I've also been looking into right brain vs. left brain because my almost three year old is speech apraxic (sp?). I read that you want to balance their brains so that they don't have any learning issues. I haven't tried any of the techniques yet... Not sure if it's for me. A friend gave me a bunch of links to youtube videos of therapies that help and books but I'm unsure....

• chotovec82
    May 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    Disconnected Kids" by Dr. Mellilo
    Reconnected

The other information is called "Primitive reflex exercises."  You can look it all up online. 

Quoting celticdragon77:

I do not have a child with any of these issues, but this seems like such a great subject to dive deeper into. Would you mind recommending some books about the right vs left brain - balancing them. 

Quoting chotovec82:

• iknitsweatersyo
    May 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Can you share how you taught him to read? I'm always looking for ways to help ds....

• HopeJoyPeace1
    May 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I will tell you that you don't need to make him be what he isn't. Your child was made the way he is. He was intended to live like as he is.. As his parent's it is your job to teach him how to live, succeed and thrive in this world in the condition he is... That being said you don't need to change his personality.. that I pray stays the same. However you do need to teach him charicter(how to handle situations, stressors and issues that normally will come up in his life) But altering who he is at the base levels.. No that isn't what is needed!

• Leissaintexas
    May 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Well, isn't the reason most of us are homeschooling is so our kids don't have to fit a mold? Mom, I think you are right on target. You should not have to make him into something he isn't. The therapist is probably just using public school mentality in telling you he needs to be "integrated".

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    This

Quoting iknitsweatersyo:

Can you share how you taught him to read? I'm always looking for ways to help ds....

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    Can someone give me the Cliff Notes version of right /left brain?
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    I would tell the therapist to shove it & let your son be who he is right brain thinking & all. You never know he might be the next great thinker of our time.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts