Homeschooling Moms

mommy4lyf
Do you use DVDs in teaching?
May 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

What do you think of "Standard Deviants School"? I want to purchase it for my son but I need someone to help me decide. Thanks

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 4:07 PM

We use TV programs from the Discovery channel, History channel & other educational TV like them.

Is there any way you can barrow them from the library or watch clips on YouTube to see if he even likes them? I have a hard time spending a lot of money on any curriculum because I would feel obligated to use it even if my child hated it.

• mommy4lyf
    May 2, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I checked ebay, amazon and craigslist for used one but it's still expensive. I am not sure about the library coz I don't go there much but I guess I will start to go there if I need to save money since we don't get allotment for part time homeschooling.

You are right. I was also thinking of that. What if it's not for him? or the right one for him? that's a total waste of money. I am wondering if it works for other homeschooler out there especially in teaching math.

Quoting usmom3:

We use TV programs from the Discovery channel, History channel & other educational TV like them.

Is there any way you can barrow them from the library or watch clips on YouTube to see if he even likes them? I have a hard time spending a lot of money on any curriculum because I would feel obligated to use it even if my child hated it.

• jeweldragons
    May 2, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Yes I plan on using DVDs for homeschooling my future children.  I have never heard of or seen "Standard Deviants School". 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

See if there is a homeschool community close to you that has a curriculem sale that you can go to. Also see if there is a Homeschool Library close that might have it to check out (not every community has one but I know they are out there)

Quoting mommy4lyf:

I checked ebay, amazon and craigslist for used one but it's still expensive. I am not sure about the library coz I don't go there much but I guess I will start to go there if I need to save money since we don't get allotment for part time homeschooling.

You are right. I was also thinking of that. What if it's not for him? or the right one for him? that's a total waste of money. I am wondering if it works for other homeschooler out there especially in teaching math.

Quoting usmom3:

• chotovec82
    May 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    I use language DVDs; such as: Whistle Frits and The Language Tree. We also pick up science related DVDs from the library that we use. We are buying the Learn Our History DVD collection and we also use those. So Yes we use DVDs and my kids thoroughly enjoy it.
  • KrissyKC
    May 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM

They look OK.  However, I'm thinking that an actual curriculum for us would be better.   I mean, we are looking at Math U See that teaches with a video and I think Teaching Textbooks does, too.

What you have here looks more supplimental with your math curriculum, and for us that would be more money than we could afford.

However, they would be neat for a co-op setting or a setting where you might have many kids to get more use out of it. 

• mommy4lyf
    May 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

They have a lot out there. Here's some that I am looking at but too expensive!

http://www.mathmadeeasy.com/

http://dep.disney.go.com/index.html - I was surprise that disney have cool dvds about science too!

http://www.sdteach.com/  - is not just for math. I want to use it for science and history as well. I think I need to reconsider enrolling my son full time so he will receive full allotment.

Quoting jeweldragons:

Yes I plan on using DVDs for homeschooling my future children.  I have never heard of or seen "Standard Deviants School". 

• mommy4lyf
    May 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

My son is a visual learner. I mean, math manipulatives are not enough. I have to try different approach for him to understand. I use youtube, ipad  game apps, andriod game apps and all. They all help but I want a different approach. I don't want him to forget so I am planning to play the video everyday for 30 mins. It needs to be fun or else he won't pay attention.

I bought this one complete software (used) from the homeschool supplies store to try but it won't let me install it  on my computer because the product key was used to many times. It was a total waste money. I learned my lesson on that. It's so frustrating sometimes : (

Quoting KrissyKC:

They look OK.  However, I'm thinking that an actual curriculum for us would be better.   I mean, we are looking at Math U See that teaches with a video and I think Teaching Textbooks does, too.

What you have here looks more supplimental with your math curriculum, and for us that would be more money than we could afford.

However, they would be neat for a co-op setting or a setting where you might have many kids to get more use out of it. 

• celticdragon77
    May 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I had never heard of these, so I went to YouTube, and sure enough there are videos of them over there for free - though broken up and problem not all them complete. However, it was enough for me to get a good idea of the product. - I think some are better than others. All seem like a great addition to someone's studies. I will say that sometimes I found their antics distracting and sometimes I wished they showed examples. Especially for the science one that I watched.

A parent could go look up experiments easily online and do them with the child, to help cement the concept. Also, notebooking seems like it would go nicely along with these videos. You could probably find some printable worksheets or lesson plans online somewhere to go along with the videos. Maybe some books at the library. Websites, other YouTube videos, etc. You could build decent lessons / unit study around these videos. To me, that makes them worth the money - especially if you have a child that is a visual learner.

Kids now days, their brains are rewired from all the technology and instant gratification that is their life/world. So I can see these videos having a valuable place in kids lives. However, I do not think it should be the only source of learning. They do need to develop their skills of learning by other means as well. But certainly, there is not wrong with implementing this method (along with others). 

I looked on amazon for reviews. People either loved or hated them. They though they were funny and a great addition to their studies. Others said they were a waste of money and didn't learn anything from them. But these videos have won awards and were highly recommended by the schoolhouse review website. 

On ebay, I found them from anywhere from $5 to $30 - at $30 a pop, that could get expensive. However, you should factor in that you can resell them and recoup some of your money back out of them. Plenty of them were under $10 though. If your child is a visual learner, then this might be worth investing in. Plus, as I mentioned before, you can find cheap ways to create a unit study around them. I do not know how many videos they have out. But maybe only get the ones that you really feel that you need that at that time, sell them, and use that money to reinvest in getting more for your next lessons. If you feel he doesn't need the videos for a particular area of study, then don't buy those ones. 

But look on YouTube. Because I think the entire congress one was on there - just in multiple videos. So you would have to hunt them all down. At least it's enough there on YouTube to see if it is something you like or not, to buy. 

• celticdragon77
    May 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM

To answer the op question of whether I use videos or not... 

Most definitely. Knowledge is found in many venues and I see no reason to ever seek it by only one mean. 

Unlike most homeschoolers, I do not prescribe to the "teach to the personal learning style". Life is not and should not be about processing information only via visual, auditory, hands on, or the etc. I believe that a person needs to develop skills at processing information via many forms. This makes for a more well rounded and adaptable person, in my opinion. 

An abstract example of this; I was working on a csa farm. The owners were Montessori teachers. The one day, the woman and I were talking about education. At some point, she mentioned how they had knitting classes in her school. Without her even completing her thoughts, and with an absent mind, I chimed in that I had tried learning but it just wasn't for me. She asked why. I said, well, because I can't sit still for long, I get restless, and I just struggled with it. It just didn't fit me. She smiled, and said, THAT is exactly why we teach knitting to the kids. She went on to explain that it is important to teach kids to sit still, be quiet with their thoughts, to focus their attentions, to learn a new concept - even if it doesn't come easily or naturally, and she had other reasons. But I remember that intensely stuck with me. And I see how it relates with learning styles - and many aspects of the academic life - and other parts of life. 

I know your post isn't so much about learning styles, but I see the topic come up so much. Everyone is free to have their opinions, but I wanted to mention another way of looking at it. I hope that my opinions here are not offensive in any way. 

Homeschooling Moms