Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
JocelynsMama1
teaching vowels
May 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I asked this in the other homeschool group so sorry if some of you see it twice. How do you teach vowels and at what grade. I think knowing what vowels are would make reading for my 4 year old so much easier so i could teach her the rule of when two vowels ae beside each other and the rule about if theres an e at the end. When I was a kid we learned that the vowels were the girl letters. I'd like to teah her this way but i cant seem to find ANYTHING on it, no coloring sheets, books, games, nothing. Has anyone else seen these?

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Here is a bump, I just cover it all together not breaking it down like that.

• JocelynsMama1
    May 2, 2013 at 9:09 PM

what do you mean not breaking it down like that? you dont teach what vowels are?

Quoting usmom3:

• KrissyKC
    May 2, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The first time through the alphabet, we teach short sounds.   The second time through (doing letter of the week) we discuss the long sounds.  If they struggle, I would go through the alphabet again...  If they have it down and are beginning reading easy words, I just move onto an actual phonics curriculum.  Sorry, if that doesn't help.

• JocelynsMama1
    May 2, 2013 at 9:50 PM

im not talking about how to teach phonics shes already reading (with help) im talking about teaching which letters are vowels

Quoting KrissyKC:

The first time through the alphabet, we teach short sounds.   The second time through (doing letter of the week) we discuss the long sounds.  If they struggle, I would go through the alphabet again...  If they have it down and are beginning reading easy words, I just move onto an actual phonics curriculum.  Sorry, if that doesn't help.

• KrissyKC
    May 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

If you are talking about IDENTIFYING which letters are vowels and which are consonants, we kinda do that in combination with a good phonics and spelling program.   I introduce the concept of vowels and consonants as soon as they start putting simple words together and reading simple words.

• KrissyKC
    May 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Do you remember the old "letter people" shows we used to watch?

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM

No I mean that I don't call the vowels anything but vowels & cover them right along with the consonants. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

what do you mean not breaking it down like that? you dont teach what vowels are?

Quoting usmom3:

• JocelynsMama1
    May 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

thats all i meant...i just want a fun way for her to memorize them

Quoting KrissyKC:

If you are talking about IDENTIFYING which letters are vowels and which are consonants, we kinda do that in combination with a good phonics and spelling program.   I introduce the concept of vowels and consonants as soon as they start putting simple words together and reading simple words.

• JocelynsMama1
    May 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM

is that where im getting thhe girls are vowels thing from? OMG i found it on youtube thats so where i got it from LOL

Quoting KrissyKC:

Do you remember the old "letter people" shows we used to watch?

• JocelynsMama1
    May 2, 2013 at 11:00 PM

i just taught her all her letter sounds at once

Quoting usmom3:

No I mean that I don't call the vowels anything but vowels & cover them right along with the consonants. 

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts