May 2, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Which would you teach first?

Replies

• almondpigeon
    May 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    I teach both at the same time.
  • irvinehiker
    May 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I would teach lowercase first.  The majority of printed text anywhere is in lowercase.  From the research I've done teaching uppercase first can slow down the process of learning to read by confusing the child.  I used a moveable alphabet I printed from montessoriprintshop.com.  I also found a couple sets of lowercase magnet tiles.  One set was the fridge type, but they were a nice, soft foam.  Amazon,com would probaly have something like that.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    I thought about doing it this way using a letter of the week curriculum but those take a while.

Quoting almondpigeon:

• almondpigeon
    May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

it really does!  i've been doing it with my 4 yo (he's going to start kindergarten next school year) so i figured i had the extra time to spare.  at this point, he recognizes all the letters, both upper & lower case.  he's not that great at writing yet, but i figure i'm on the right track.

Quoting mem82:

I thought about doing it this way using a letter of the week curriculum but those take a while.

Quoting almondpigeon:

• Boobah
    by Boobah
    May 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    I teach both at the same time
  • mommy4lyf
    May 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

My son is autistic and visual learner. When he was learning how to write, I taught him both so he knows the difference.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would do both!

• ablessedlife
    May 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    Both. We make lists of words. At the top, I write: "Aa". When we read the list, we say, "Big A, little A, what begins with A?" Then we read the list.
  • energygirl
    May 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

it seems like most of the dvs and games I have seen start with the uppercase

• No_Difference
    May 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I did upper case letters while my little guy was under a year (since the Leap Frog movis did upper cases, but also showed lower briefly), but when he was about 3 I showed him both.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts