Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommytobooger
Super hero question
May 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM
So my son loves Batman! He also loves his magic tree house series , imagination station series, he even loves to read his study bible. But he also loves super heros. So I decided since he also likes other educatioal and moral books its OK for him to read some fun stuff too.
So Today at the library he wanted to check out a Batman book. So he found some and as I am looking them over I have to say that I really don't like the pictures at all. For instance wonder women or who ever she was looked like a way over done plastic surgery mess. Her chest was gigantic with cleavage everywhere! I was worried about the violence now I have this to worry about too?
My question is do you know of any Batman or superman books that arnt so provocative? We ended up checking out an older Batman chapter book , pics were wayyyy better but even reading it I see the words flirting and dating. Hmmm.
He is 7 but loves to read so his reading is probably at a fifth grade level.
I appreciate any help with this.
Thank you.

Replies

• KickButtMama
    May 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Most super heroes are not realistic in any way, so I never was bothered by it. I just steamed my kids more towards the Fantastic Four, X-Men  and modern super-heroes where the people look more like every day Joes. Old fashioned super heroes - those invented pre-1980 had many stereotypical and discrimintory ideas in them.

• bekalynne440
    May 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    My geeky husband says off the top of his head maybe Spider-Man. He's going to look into it some more, so I may have another answer for you later.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    I would look for the newer kids books of Batman online to learn the tittles & then hunt them up at the library.
  • mommytobooger
    May 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    I was thinking older might be better. When I look in the newer ones the men are so bulked up they look like steroid models and the women like I said just show way too much cleavage . The older ones Batman is skinny like a regular guy yes he has muscles but not excessive. Spiderman is OK he just dates a lot. we tried him but ill keep looking into different Spiderman .
    What do you ladies think of the cartoon rescue heros? It comes on qubo .
    Idle I didn't think it would be this hard to find a decent super hero or comic book for a 7 year old.
    Anybody know of other innocent comics apart from Batman Superman Spiderman and so on?
    I really appreciate your help with all this!
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I was just on Amazon & told it batman in children's books & it came up with a whole bunch of kids books that are Batman, some are the I can Read books & some are Golden books.

• elizabooks
    May 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Girl Genius is a Victorian steam punk comic. lots of explosion monsterss, but no gore, lots of science gadgets some romance (i think there was a kiss or two and only one or two scenes with the girl in her underwear (Victorian underwear- we saw her arms and ankles).
    what about Shazam?
    or sandman ( 1950s )
  • SusanTheWriter
    May 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I love Girl Genius!!

I went to the comic shop recently and asked kind of the same question. My 12yo DS gets embarrassed by bikini chicks (thank goodness!) and he wanted to know if there were comics that weren't so sexy. The closest the guy could come was Marvel because they know they still have a young audience, but I think the women are still overly sexualized.

Quoting elizabooks:

Girl Genius is a Victorian steam punk comic. lots of explosion monsterss, but no gore, lots of science gadgets some romance (i think there was a kiss or two and only one or two scenes with the girl in her underwear (Victorian underwear- we saw her arms and ankles).
    what about Shazam?
    or sandman ( 1950s )

• KickButtMama
    May 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

80's and Earlier

• KickButtMama
    May 2, 2013 at 6:41 PM

90's and Later

• chotovec82
    May 2, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    Honestly I allow my kids to read the Batman books that we check out of the library. The violence doesn't bother me as I have explained the difference in reality and make believe. We have taught them reality from the beginning; for instance, we do not do Santa for Xmas, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc... I have explained to them that while some people believe in them; they are not real. I have tried to explain as simple as I can their true origins. Uhm... I never considered the other issue with super heroes but I'm not too worried about it. I just try to be honest with them about everything and keep them grounded to reality. I'm really of no help here.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN