Homeschooling Moms

tennisgal
stick with the schedule or enjoy the season??
May 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I'm having a "moral" dilemma (yes, I'm being a bit dramatic). Now that spring is officially here and it's bright until after 8:00 I want to chuck the schedule, but the rational mom in me knows that this will result in frustrations with late bedtimes and chaotic days. I know this from experience b/c my DH takes a month off a Christmas and the boys went crazy without their schedule and regular chores, etc. But oh, I love those long lazy summer days, playing outside after dusk and just letting the days flow as they will. 

Do you stick with your regular schedule or do you let go and just enjoy the lazy summer days??

Replies

• Precious333
    May 1, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    Im not good at schedules, i know what i would do! Lol
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    May 1, 2013 at 12:52 AM
    Our everyday is scheduled only by meals & bedtime, everything else happens based on how the day unfolds.
  • celticdragon77
    May 1, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I know how you feel. I personally, can be an extreme type A person and yet very relaxed. So I often feel at odds with myself. Balance and compromise is my key.

How old are the kids and when are the bedtimes? Can you make the bedtime later, but let them sleep in longer - to make sure they still get the same amount of sleep. Still following whatever schedule you already had in place, just at later times.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 1, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    We push bedtime back a half hour but besides that we stay on schedule. The thing with long summer days is that they start earlier, too. Lol
  • energygirl
    May 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I am a bit more relaxed...we do school outside more...and more nature activities...from touching and studying trees... to wind (kite) and weather stuff.  More science I guess....  We have also already gone through all of our language arts and math for the year...so we do some for review...but there is just less work to do...so that makes us relax as well

• rsrangel
    May 2, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    enjoy the season!
  • KickButtMama
    May 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM

We do loose schedules. W/ my eldests Aspergers we need some kind of predictability or he has issues. So bedtimes are roughly the same (it moves from 8:30 to 9pm, but they get ready for be at the same time every day), we have no tv time between 10-3. They have school work but they can choose when during that time to get it done. So if they want to play outside, they can. 

• chotovec82
    May 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    Since summer has come; I've been letting the kids play during the day and doing school at night before bath and bed. We start around 6 and the boys are in bed around 9 now. That is off schedule for us since usually the kids are in bed by 7:30 but I want them to enjoy their summer days as well. I think making changes to adapt to the new seasons is ok. We do math, reading, grammar or spelling, and today I am trying to fit in spanish but I am thinking that that spanish DVDs and science DVDs will be done around noon maybe during lunch or something.
  • chotovec82
    May 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    Oh and the only tv time they get in the summer is educational movies or the DVD player in the car. I expect them to be playing outside and not on the tv during the summer. Also i do not allow them to have any electronic device like nintendo and things during the summer. They do someetimes play their mobi-goes during car trips but that is still educational.

Quoting chotovec82:

Since summer has come; I've been letting the kids play during the day and doing school at night before bath and bed. We start around 6 and the boys are in bed around 9 now. That is off schedule for us since usually the kids are in bed by 7:30 but I want them to enjoy their summer days as well. I think making changes to adapt to the new seasons is ok. We do math, reading, grammar or spelling, and today I am trying to fit in spanish but I am thinking that that spanish DVDs and science DVDs will be done around noon maybe during lunch or something.

Homeschooling Moms