Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
KickButtMama
Ahhh Co-op is finally done!
April 30, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Ah, today was finally the last day of co-op for our winter/spring session. I taught 3 classes, which was exhausting! But as usual it's mixed feelings - being glad its finally over and being bumed we have to wait until September for the next session. That's if I can stomach dealing with the other mom's. We ended up doubling in size this semester, but most of those mom's were the ones who let their kids run absolutely wild - leaving the facility a mess (it's a building owned by a local university), being really loud, etc. I don't understand why the adults have to make the session such a misery? Maybe I'm anti-social..lol

Replies

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I know exactly what you mean.  We still have a few weeks left.  I am still teaching till mid June.  It is a lot of hard work but fun at the same time.  I really enjoy planning lessons for larger groups.  I am not finished yet and I am still thinking of next year.  I am planning on doing a creative math class and physics next year.  I will probably do another geography through art class next year as well.  Last week the librarian told us the kids were being too loud.  I am thinking of starting some new rules.  Anti-social people don't teach at co-ops.  I know sometimes it is hard at least for me  being the bad guy.  congrats on increasing in size.  

• SusanTheWriter
    May 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Ours is done on Friday, thank goodness!

In the fall, they had a full schedule. This spring, they dropped to morning only. And next fall, they're not doing it at all! The leader had a lot of stuff going on in her life, but she refuses to accept help or have any kind of back-up leadership, then complains when people don't help. Umm, that's the house of cards she built on purpose!

So a group much closer to home is looking into developing a co-op for the fall. They're non-faith-based, which works great for us, and people have been volunteering left and right. I'm thinking of doing some writing workshops. Very excited!

• KickButtMama
    May 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Good Luck!

I'm the 'director' of our co-op, but the problem is the previous director is still a member and wont take her fingers out of my pot! Like on the first day I was going to give announcements at lunchtime when the whole co-op was together in  one room. I ran to use the potty and when I came back she was standing in front of the room giving announcements! She spent the entire semester doing things like that. It's just so disrespectful! Grrrr.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Ours is done on Friday, thank goodness!

In the fall, they had a full schedule. This spring, they dropped to morning only. And next fall, they're not doing it at all! The leader had a lot of stuff going on in her life, but she refuses to accept help or have any kind of back-up leadership, then complains when people don't help. Umm, that's the house of cards she built on purpose!

So a group much closer to home is looking into developing a co-op for the fall. They're non-faith-based, which works great for us, and people have been volunteering left and right. I'm thinking of doing some writing workshops. Very excited!

• KickButtMama
    May 1, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yeah, I'm often seen as the 'mean mom' because I enforce the rules - like we are only supposed to eat in certain areas, and the university has some offices in the same building that are in use during our co-op time, so we need to be conscious of our noise levels. It's funny too that everyone complains about that and that I charge the cost of supplies for my classes - we can't afford to front any of the money, though I always end up spending double what  I estimated. My classes usually book up within a day of opening registration, and the kids always come up to me after the semester begging for more classes....but then the parents complain that I'm not doing classes for free! We just did a Camp Halfblood class, based loosly on the Percy Jackson book series, where the kids made 13 different projects - swords (foam), shields, models (out of packing peanuts covered w/ plaster of paris), pottery, constellations, maps of the Labrynth, their orange Camp t-shirts, playing cards w/ the Greek Gods and Mythological creatures, etc. I also made each child a decorative box to hold their camp supplies. They got to keep everything, but then parents complain of the cost?

I just sincerely dislike parents who watch their kids misbehaving, braking rules, etc, and do nothing....grr. At the end of every semester my DH says, "You're not really going back, right?" But then I cave and go back. My kids have made friends there, and I love the kids I teach, just not the parents. lol.

Quoting jen2150:

I know exactly what you mean.  We still have a few weeks left.  I am still teaching till mid June.  It is a lot of hard work but fun at the same time.  I really enjoy planning lessons for larger groups.  I am not finished yet and I am still thinking of next year.  I am planning on doing a creative math class and physics next year.  I will probably do another geography through art class next year as well.  Last week the librarian told us the kids were being too loud.  I am thinking of starting some new rules.  Anti-social people don't teach at co-ops.  I know sometimes it is hard at least for me  being the bad guy.  congrats on increasing in size.  

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    May 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    I know exactly what you mean. The kids keep pulling me back. This year though we have a great group of parents. I run a mostly free co-op. I just ask them to pay for supplies and donate things when necessary. Last year I did a session on flight. I was planning on having all the kids make their own airport. One of the parents said you mean we have homework. I couldn't believe it. I have a hard time getting parents to volunteer to teach and do things at home. The parents come back and tell me all the great things their kids are saying to me at home. They make it all worth it. This year I have two very sweet girls that are super shy. They are 4 and 6 years old. Their mom was telling all the great things they are saying about me at home. I was very shy in school and very talkative at home. I was the same way so I can really relate to them. This Friday I am planning a sit down talk with the kids and parents about the noise level during library hours. I really dislike that part of my job.
    Quoting KickButtMama:

Yeah, I'm often seen as the 'mean mom' because I enforce the rules - like we are only supposed to eat in certain areas, and the university has some offices in the same building that are in use during our co-op time, so we need to be conscious of our noise levels. It's funny too that everyone complains about that and that I charge the cost of supplies for my classes - we can't afford to front any of the money, though I always end up spending double what  I estimated. My classes usually book up within a day of opening registration, and the kids always come up to me after the semester begging for more classes....but then the parents complain that I'm not doing classes for free! We just did a Camp Halfblood class, based loosly on the Percy Jackson book series, where the kids made 13 different projects - swords (foam), shields, models (out of packing peanuts covered w/ plaster of paris), pottery, constellations, maps of the Labrynth, their orange Camp t-shirts, playing cards w/ the Greek Gods and Mythological creatures, etc. I also made each child a decorative box to hold their camp supplies. They got to keep everything, but then parents complain of the cost?

I just sincerely dislike parents who watch their kids misbehaving, braking rules, etc, and do nothing....grr. At the end of every semester my DH says, "You're not really going back, right?" But then I cave and go back. My kids have made friends there, and I love the kids I teach, just not the parents. lol.

Quoting jen2150:

• amandae21
    May 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I had a giant sigh of relief when ours ended as well. I was lugging a HUGE plastic tote bin and two sewing machines in and out of the building each week... with my baby and toddler and 3rd grader... and the walk from my car to my classroom was loooong.

• KickButtMama
    May 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

That was the biggest challenge of teaching my 3 classes as well. I had a wheeled suitcase, a carry-on suitcase, and often a large cardboard box and 1 or 2 cloth shopping bags - the XXL ones). Plus for the lastv3 weeks I had to lug 17 paper mâché models to and from co-op as the kids built and decorated them....and I HATE paper mâché with a passion! Lol now I can finally clean my homeschool room so we can start using it again..lol

Quoting amandae21:

I had a giant sigh of relief when ours ended as well. I was lugging a HUGE plastic tote bin and two sewing machines in and out of the building each week... with my baby and toddler and 3rd grader... and the walk from my car to my classroom was loooong.

• mem82
    by mem82
    May 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    I haven't dipped my toes into coop waters, yet. With Nikki and Theo being so young I couldn't volunteer anywhere but the nursery. The problem with that is that most women want the nursery, too, and as the newbie they'd rank me.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN