Homeschooling Moms

trendy2
What are they expected to know?
by trendy2
April 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM

What is my child expected to know at the end of the first year?  One will be completing K and the other 1st.  What's the best way for me to determine what to teach them? 

Replies

• celticdragon77
    April 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM

You homeschooled them this year for K and 1 and want to know if you covered the required material OR want to homeschool next year for 1 and 2 grades and are looking for what needs covered? - and what state are you in? 

I have been trying to nail down a good plan for how I will cover things each year, in the various subjects. 

There are links like world book and books like - what ever 1st grader need to know, or you can look at the outline of various homeschool curriculums. Plus there is the local school districts curriculum outline (on most school websites)- but I find most of these following a spiral method and I don't like that. I prefer a more mastery based - stay on topic till its complete - approach. So, you have to decide on how you want to teach. Some people allow the kids to choose what they learn - that approach scares me and I don't think my state would approve of it. 

• lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Get a good homeschooling book. I like Homeschooling Year by Year.

By the end of K IMO they probably should know how to at least read CVC (consonant-vowel-consonant) words, basic number concepts, and printing all the letters. A first grader should understand addition and subtraction and have some of the facts memorized, know the value of some coins and to identify them, know how to tell time to the hour on an analog clock, know the concept of measurement, be able to print whole sentences from copying, and be reading leveled readers.

I couldn't possibly list out everything, but those are the highpoints. Keep in mind that some kids develop faster or slower in one or more areas and that can be normal. What you really want is continuous PROGRESS.

• KrissyKC
    April 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM

You can always get those, "what ever X grader should know" books to give you an idea.   However, it's OK to not follow them rigidly, they just give you a good view of anything you feel you are leaving out.

I know I focus MOSTLY on phonics, writing (printing), reading (constant reading and learning to simply LOVE books whether read to or beginning to read themselves or any and all)..   Also numbers and math concepts. 

Everything else is extra and is used to give opportunities for reading, writing, and math...

For example, good social studies for this age is learning about your neighborhood and the people in it... it's awesome to check out all kinds of books about careers, jobs, neighborhoods, etc... and you can make a drawing map of your neighborhood and the kids can get writing/drawing practice by labelling stuff on it.   There are a TON of books and projects you can do for/about your neighbors. 

Science is so fun at this age, because you don't need a set program, again... it's used to give opportunities to write, create, read, enjoy learning.   Lap booking on stuff is fun and gives the child a "finished product" to look at for review and be excited that they accomplished.

There are soooo many good readers for kids this age, and they are at an age where non-fiction can really be enjoyed.  There are phonics based readers on various subjects, too.

I add a good math program at about 2nd grade, and a good english/grammar at the third grade.   Fourth grade is when I would decide if I wanted actual curriculum for Science and Social Studies... or if what I'm doing with them is working efficiently or not.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    April 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM
    I will begin teaching them this year. They are in ps right now. Where do I get a curriculum or an example of one?

Quoting celticdragon77:

You homeschooled them this year for K and 1 and want to know if you covered the required material OR want to homeschool next year for 1 and 2 grades and are looking for what needs covered? - and what state are you in? 

I have been trying to nail down a good plan for how I will cover things each year, in the various subjects. 

There are links like world book and books like - what ever 1st grader need to know, or you can look at the outline of various homeschool curriculums. Plus there is the local school districts curriculum outline (on most school websites)- but I find most of these following a spiral method and I don't like that. I prefer a more mastery based - stay on topic till its complete - approach. So, you have to decide on how you want to teach. Some people allow the kids to choose what they learn - that approach scares me and I don't think my state would approve of it. 

• celticdragon77
    April 30, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Google any major curriculum and you can look At samples and an outline of their curriculums. This has helped me at times to get an idea of many things. Homeschool review .com or Cathy duffys homeschool review website can list a lot of different curriculums out there. Then just google the company and start looking on line - or order their free catalogues. 

Quoting trendy2:

I will begin teaching them this year. They are in ps right now. Where do I get a curriculum or an example of one?

Quoting celticdragon77:

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Grade level Requirements

How To Home School will answer your questions about curriculum, State Laws and more. 

• BramblePatch
    April 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    There are hundreds of curriculums out there. Do you want Christian or Secular? Workbook based? Online? Literature based? Do you want to combine them where you can?
  • CaitsCookies
    May 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

Some people allow the kids to choose what they learn - that approach scares me and I don't think my state would approve of it. 

You can sneak a lot of the basics into that approach, depending on their level. They can improve reading skills when you research what they're interested in. Learning the science behind whatever it is becomes a part of it. You can have them write out their thoughts about what they're learning. And you can even get some math in with the science part of it.
  • CaitsCookies
    May 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    My challenge is that the PS was a drastic failure for my SS. He was in 4th grade but barely at a 1st grade level academically. NOT good for such a smart kid. So I have to find ways to get him up to speed while fixing all the damage the school did with the ways they attempted to teach him.
  • trendy2
    by trendy2
    May 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I honestly have no idea.  Where can I read up on all of the options you listed and what their differences are?

Quoting BramblePatch:

There are hundreds of curriculums out there. Do you want Christian or Secular? Workbook based? Online? Literature based? Do you want to combine them where you can?

Homeschooling Moms