Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Analugojana
I'm thinking of homeschooling
April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Hi, i'm new to the group. I have a 6 year old and a 6 mo old daughters. My ODD goes to ps and I hate it. She's not interested in learning or at least not in what they do there. She's always tired and I have no time with her. I'm thinking to start hs next year. This year it would have been too tough with the baby as well.

Unfortunately I cannot afford to be SAHM but I'll have to open a small home dycare. Is it possible to do that and still hs plus the baby/toddler?

I must mention it again, I really hate what the ps is doing to her.

Replies

• celticdragon77
    April 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I tried babysitting awhile back - I wasn't homeschooling at the time. My personal experience with doing it was terrible and took a major toll on my entire family!

I have three kids of my own. They were 8, 2, and 3mths old when I started babysitting. They did NOT like me babysitting and acted out - and the oldest took advantage of me being so preoccupied. 

The kids I babysat were not all well behaved - the mom allowed of the one allowed him to just run wild. This made it very difficult for him to come to my house with a completely different set of standards. They definitely were NOT a good influence on my own kids. And in fact, one of them was physically abusive to all of the kids in the house. If he didn't get his way, he would destroy my house. He swore and spoke of things that shocked me. The one mom rarely paid me and flipped out when I gave her 6wks to find a new babysitter - trying to make me feel bad for her, meanwhile her not caring how her child or her lack of payment negatively effected my family. 

I have been afraid to ever try babysitting again. No one in our family wants to experience that again and I respect their thoughts on the subject. It WOULD be so hard to homeschool while babysitting. I wouldn't even want that for my family. I do work full time - 3rd shift sun-thur. I plan on homeschooling this coming year - and have homeschooled in the past. 

My experience does not speak for everyone. But it shows what the pitfalls can be. You have to weigh out the risks / cons vs the pros. Be picky about who you babysit for!! It isn't worth babysitting if the child is not discplined or the parents end up not being able to pay for whatever reasons. Also, think of the additional costs (feeding the children and such), what happens when the child is sick, and how you will handle the situation if it doesn't work out.

• KrissyKC
    April 30, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I used to do bef/after school care for 3 school kids (full time in the summer and days out of school)... plus I had one toddler I got in the afternoon for a few hours.

I also homeschooled 2 kids (1st and 3rd my first year I pulled them out of public)... and had my own toddler, too.

That year, i used the My Father's World 1st yr of their big cycle, Lifepac L/A, and Saxon Math...  it was busy... especially since I kept one of the kids I babysat late some days and got two others super early (before 5 sometimes!)..

Routine was my friend and being rigid about getting the place clean and things accomplished were vital.

• KrissyKC
    April 30, 2013 at 1:58 AM

CelticDragon, I'm sooo sorry that was a horrible experience!!!   Ours was actually 85% positive, but then, I kept older kids and usually had them bef/aft school instead of all day.   My own kids LOVED it!   But then, I was selective about who I accepted.   Having the right fit was more important than the money.

However, OP, I only brought in a few hundred dollars a month over what I spent on snacks, supplies, etc... Depending on their days out of school and such, I would make between $250-500 monthly after costs.   It wasn't much, but it sure boosted the grocery budget and all.   Also kept us on a routine.

• Analugojana
    April 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Thank you all so much for your input! I can see it will be harder on me. Ii hope it will be better for my dd.. It's a tough year now for her and with all the stress and long days I don't see much of a result. I'm not doing it yhis year because I want the baby to be older and on a one nap schedule. It would be easier with the daycare if they all napped at the same time.

Dd is excited about the idea. If the daycare doesn't pan out I have the option of full time work. What do you do with the kids when you are at work if they are not in school?

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts