Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
trendy2
If your child/children went to public school before you started HS...
by trendy2
April 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM

What's the first positive thing you noticed once you started homeschooling your child/children that differs or changed since you took them out of public school?  I will be starting my first year soon. 

Replies

• Jinx-Troublex3
    April 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Less stress in the mornings.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM

There have been so many changes!  The first I noticed was that he would talk to everyone again.  He orders his own food at restaurants, answers adults' questions, and jumps right in to play with kids of all ages at the playground.

I've also noticed (and reveled in) the fact that I get him first.  When he was in school I had to fight him in the morning to get him up and dressed and on the bus.  Then I got him at night when he was overly tired, overly hungry, and miserable about all the homework.  The only time I was with my cheerful, happy, and energetic son was on Saturdays.  It's so nice to get him all the time.

• DyslexiaParent
    April 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

DEFINITELY less stress!  Having less stress meant fewer meltdowns, fewer tantrums, less butting heads, and a calmer spirit throughout our family.  It was one of those unexpected blessings to move from that stressful state of getting up by an alarm clock, trying to get everyone ready, rushing out the door, etc.  My kids get up when they wake up and get ready at their own pace, so they are fully rested, which makes them better able to cope and more available for learning.  I had a lot of fears about homeschooling before we started, but the homeschooling lifestyle cures a LOT of what ails the public school educational model!  I even wrote a book about how the homeschooling life style REALLY is because it was so different from what I initially expected.  That said, CONGRATS!!  I hope you love homeschooling! :-D

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    April 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    And the name of that book...? I'm scared to death. Maybe I should read it.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

DEFINITELY less stress!  Having less stress meant fewer meltdowns, fewer tantrums, less butting heads, and a calmer spirit throughout our family.  It was one of those unexpected blessings to move from that stressful state of getting up by an alarm clock, trying to get everyone ready, rushing out the door, etc.  My kids get up when they wake up and get ready at their own pace, so they are fully rested, which makes them better able to cope and more available for learning.  I had a lot of fears about homeschooling before we started, but the homeschooling lifestyle cures a LOT of what ails the public school educational model!  I even wrote a book about how the homeschooling life style REALLY is because it was so different from what I initially expected.  That said, CONGRATS!!  I hope you love homeschooling! :-D

• Leissaintexas
    April 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My dd only went to K, but already she was showing signs of wanting to be one of the "popular"girls and all that entails. Attitude, clothing preference that were inappropriate for her age, being rude to sibling, etc. That all stopped when she came home.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    April 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    I have some of that now in a way. My daughter wants to be around the "cheerleader/popular girl" in her pre-k all the time. Drives me batty. The girl is spoiled and its very obvious. She talks about her all the time. The little girl is pretty rude and the other moms have told me how she had treated their daughters. Ticks me off. Why do ppl create those children and not discourage that behavior.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

My dd only went to K, but already she was showing signs of wanting to be one of the "popular"girls and all that entails. Attitude, clothing preference that were inappropriate for her age, being rude to sibling, etc. That all stopped when she came home.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My son was no longer depressed!

• Pinkphotography
    April 29, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My children are currently in ps but more than likely I'm pulling them out:) I hope and pray this will be the best decision cause right now I'm actually miserable fighting with the ps system isn't fun when you have a child with ADHD. Morning are tough . Even after school both are miserable they just wanna hang out and play but they have homework , then baseball right after then they come home eat take a shower n bed . 

• coala
    by coala
    April 29, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My oldest went to PS for a few months before we got custody of her from a relative.  The first thing was that she wanted to learn.  The second thing we noticed was that she started to heal emotionally from the life she had before us.  Third we have been able to change some unwanted behavior and needed her around full time to make that happen.  She is doing wonderfully and I won't change what we are doing for anything.

• trendy2
    by trendy2
    April 29, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Sounds like my day. I dread 3pm because its seems like its rush and fuss right up til their 8pm bedtime.

Quoting Pinkphotography:

My children are currently in ps but more than likely I'm pulling them out:) I hope and pray this will be the best decision cause right now I'm actually miserable fighting with the ps system isn't fun when you have a child with ADHD. Morning are tough . Even after school both are miserable they just wanna hang out and play but they have homework , then baseball right after then they come home eat take a shower n bed . 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts