Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
Boobah
Screen free week
by Boobah
April 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Starts today! Is anyone participating? My kids will fully, and I will during waking hours. I still have bills and business to take care of while they sleep.

Here is a list of 100 things to do during screen free week!
http://makehealthychoices.org/Screen_Free_Week.html

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 29, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Nope, we have a screen free month every summer though.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM

nope we never do it. 

• ColtsFan1912
    April 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Nope.

I did my own week like that a few months ago. It was harder than I thought it would be :\

• coala
    by coala
    April 29, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I can't because of work.  My kids did it last week....it wasn't to hard for them.

• sdgd21
    by sdgd21
    April 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

We are doing it some days. I was planning this whole week, but we switched it up a bit. Life happened. lol

• sdgd21
    by sdgd21
    April 29, 2013 at 9:46 PM

It's only worse in our heads right!? lol we do it like once every 2 months.

Quoting coala:

I can't because of work.  My kids did it last week....it wasn't to hard for them.

• coala
    by coala
    April 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I honestly don't think I could do it for me, but my kiddos don't get much screen time anyway.  LOL

Quoting sdgd21:

It's only worse in our heads right!? lol we do it like once every 2 months.

Quoting coala:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM

No, I really don't like screen free weeks.  I just create balance and we still do all those things on the list.  I follow my children's interests.  TV and computer can be a great way for children to pursue things that interest them.  I also don't agree with the 2 hour rule.  It is not how much kids are watching but what they are watching that makes the difference.  I talk to them about having variety in their lives.  TV and computer are not bad.  They are simply one tool.  It would make my life impossible.  I also couldn't do it unless I was able to model the behavior.    I would never ask them to do something that I couldn't do.

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    During the summer, we spend the majority of the day with the TV off. Every once in a while we lose power for a few days and the TV isn't missed.
  • Boobah
    by Boobah
    May 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    Weare on day three and it's been really nice. I get on in the morning before they wake up to check email and social sites, and before bed (though last night I was wore out!), but they haven't even noticed because we don't watch tv or get on the computer much. Julia plays animal crossing some Saturdays when my mom gets on from her house, and we have pizza movie night on Fridays, but other than that we rarely turn anything on. The biggest challenge is myself, because I have to be on for my business and for the moderating I do for cafemom. But putting it to the morning and evening has been great. I'm going to have to start checking email mid day though, I missed an important email yesterday.
    We may continue this long after this week. We have been to two parks, seen two houses (we are looking for a new home) gone to the grocery, and a lot of playing outside and picnics. The warm weather makes it a lot easier!!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN