Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
leighp1
Skipping grades
by leighp1
April 25, 2013 at 7:02 AM

I know that most just teach to where their child is at academically. I was teaching math at a higher grade level just because I knew she was able to handle that, but I didn't know she was as smart as she is.  My dd was tested and she is testing way above (4 grade levels higher) where I was teaching this year, so now I am thinking of skipping a grade for next year.  I would love to skip two grades, but I am afraid she will feel overwhelmed.  I have talked to her about it and she said, "let's skip one year and if it is still too easy, then we can skip another year".  Sounds like she has it together. I just worry about the "what if's". 

My other concern is that though she is very smart and she really is mature for her age, she is still only 11.  What happens if she wants to go to public school in high school, she will be extremely young.  She is mature, but still looks like a little kid. Here are all those "what if's" creeping into my brain.

Replies

• KickButtMama
    April 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I'd definitely skip. What would be the point of teaching below her academic level? What would she get out of it? Like she said, start w/ a small skip, and test the waters. The thing w/ grade levels is that most of them are crap. They are just a means of organizing kids in a big building. But if your child is free to learn as their mind sees fit, you'll probably find they do so completely out of the expected order, this is perfectly ok. Although if my kids wanted to go to PS high school I wouldn't let them, simply because my 11 y-o is doing 9th grade work now, and he is in no way mature enough to go to such an environment. 

• ablessedlife
    April 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    I have the same concerns. My sons are doing extremely well, ahead in most subjects. I am thinking of "skipping", although it is not really skipping since they have actually covered the materials and have not skipped anything. But then, fitting into other groups like Sunday school or soccer, I don't want them to be too young or feel misplaced. Also I worry that things might get hard later at some point be used I have advanced them too much.

I think one grade can't cause too much harm. It has been done before, many times. I just don't want them to miss anything significant because I have advanced them too much. KWIM?
  • littlelambe2
    April 25, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I wasn't homeschooled. But I skipped a grade and fit in well with the older kids. The principle of the school suggested I skip 2 grades, but then I'd be in the same grade as my older sister and my parents didn't want that. If she's more mature, she'd be able to mesh with more mature kids if she went back to public school. 

• KrissyKC
    April 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I wouldn't teach down if they are way beyond that, however, my recommendation is to keep them in the same "grade" in your mind, but give them excellerated and advanced placement work.      Bump them up in Math, Reading, English, etc...   but maybe do unit studies for social studies and science and such.   Allow them to highlight on extra curricular, some type of service or work, volunteering, entrepreneurship, etc...

If she wants to actually start hs early, fine... but until then, keep her socially with kids her own age in groups and sports.   If she is very advanced, she may not want to go to HS at all, but instead continue to learn at an accelerated pace and attend college online or something early.

• hipmomto3
    April 26, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I think high school is where the real detriment of grade skipping shows up. I have a good friend facing this right now, with her 12 year old son starting high school in a few months (he skipped 2 grades in elementary). He's much smaller, and far less mature, and it's leading to problems like peer pressure to date (and worse), things he's just not developmentally prepared for (nor should he be). 

For homeschooling I don't think it matters as much - you just have to always balance keeping them challenged without overwhelming them - but if you do plan to send her to PS at some point, then I'd not skip more than 1 grade level. 

• lifesadream83
    April 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    If you plan on putting her in public school in the future I wouldn't. You can teach her above grade level without subscribing to a higher grade #. My dd8 by birthdate just makes the cut off for each grade. Currently she is labeled 3rd grade because she was in private school until she finished 1st. She is currently working with various levels of math and LA. And on elementary science & history. She just retains more of it. Nothing like your dd but she tested out of 4th grade and into 5th on her testing but I am not changing anything. I buy curriculum we work through each level at her pace and move on.
  • bren_darlene
    April 26, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I always went through the math book to make sure they understood everything.  If they did understand each concept I would skip it.

• bluerooffarm
    April 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm with bren_darlene.  Math is all about building on a foundation.  Make sure she understands all the math concepts before skipping ahead.  It will make the foundation stronger.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN