Homeschooling Moms

luvemboth
How many hrs?
April 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM
How many hrs a day do you spend actually instructing your child?

When I start homeschooling this fall, one of the things I fear is that Finding the time is going to be a struggle, with having a needy 1 & 2 yo too. I know I can break the time up, but just curious how many hrs a day y'all spend teaching.

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I have a 4 yo, a kinder, and a 2nd grader.  I teach my 2nd grader about 3 hours (1 hour language arts, 1 hour math, and 1 hour science or history), my kinder about 1.5-2 hours, and my 4yo about 1 hour.  On top of that they do a few lessons for themselves.... 2nd grader reads for an hour, does his spelling, vocabulary and handwriting on his own. 

• CaitsCookies
    April 24, 2013 at 9:05 PM
    It fluctuates from one day to the next. As unschoolers, I sneak in academics when the 10yo isn't noticing.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 25, 2013 at 12:11 AM

My dd can do a lot of it on her own, now, as an almost-5th grader. I'd say I spend about 2-3 hours with her.

• celticdragon77
    April 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I have two kids that are close in age. Currently 3rd and 4th grade. 

We have not started homeschooling. However, I have been planning things out a bit for our start in July. Plus, I have experience homeschooling in the past. 

We will be doing 4hrs structured time and a few hours unstructured / independent work. I will be overseeing things during the structured time. 

We will be homeschool year round 4days a week. With time off periodically throughout the year.

• elizabooks
    April 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    i have a 4 yr old -so that is kinder right?- we do 5-10 worksheets (can take up to two hours) daily and maybe 40 minutes on the computer for reading eggs, ixl and starfall daily. maybe 2 hours.o card games like: Steal the Old Man's Bundle, Kings in the Corner or Gin Rummy. along with story hour (up to three books, her choice) and either 1 hour of "how it works" "mythbusters" or "learn English with the King" daily. . so that is 6 hours give or take depending if she feels up to tv watching or if the card games drag on.
    we have breaks inbeyeeen each activity so i can do laundry, cook, garden and so on. the rest of the day is her free play which normally involves multiple games of candy land, shoots and ladders & reversi. unless it is soccer day, swimming or craft day. on those days tv id off and the reading & card games are not done.
  • NYCitymomx3
    April 25, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Ds is 12 (6th grade) and we spend less than 2 hours on seatwork academics:  math, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, writing, history, science, and poetry.  I give him direct instruction on everything, but he is independent enough to do some work without me, but where I'm in earshot if he needs assistance.  

He also goes to various weekly classes and field trips and back to scouts and sports in the fall.

• lifesadream83
    April 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I have an 8 year old and a 4 month old.  I am a real type A so my schedule right now drives me nuts.  What I have ended up doing is typing up a SL looking schedule for each week with every subject and all the work we are going to do on it so that I can "check the box" as we accomplish it.  I wear the LO almost all day.  Somehow between nursing and pumping and poopy diapers, and meals and laundry I manage to get all dd's work done with her.  For the most part she needs constant oversight even if it is just me telling her to focus.  She is a daydreamer and some days her feet are more entertaining to her then math but she is getting better.  We start around 9am break from 12-1pm for lunch pick back up again take a snack break around 3pm and then go again unitl 4-5pm or until she is done.  Sometimes she wants to keep going on her projects (that is what I usually end the day with.  We school year round and take breaks when we can we are military so our schedule is build around dh.  We only school 3.5- 4 days per week as we have a play group on friday to help with the wiggles.  Right now dd is working on math should take her about 30-45min.  But all I have to do is watch that she does not get distracted & LO is mashing the keyboard as I type LOL

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

about 4 hours with 7 kids ages 3-15

• KrissyKC
    April 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

In our state we have to do 1000 hours of instruction from July 1st-June 30th the following year.

We school year round and do fun school things on the weekends, too.   I include all of their extra curricular stuff, bible class, clubs they are involved in, and even church on Sunday morning.    So most Sundays they get this for credit...

Free reading:  (usually) 1 hour

Educational computer games: 30 minutes

Junior Bible Quiz practice: (sunday school) 45 minutes

Children's church: 1 hr 30 mins.

The above hours get recorded as 1 hour of core (reading) and 2 hrs 15 mins of non-core subjects (bible and computer).

Added to this can be if we do anything fun/educational that I can call a field trip or activity.   So, they get a little over 3 hrs in just on Sundays.

• CaitsCookies
    April 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

In our state we have to do 1000 hours of instruction from July 1st-June 30th the following year.

We school year round and do fun school things on the weekends, too.   I include all of their extra curricular stuff, bible class, clubs they are involved in, and even church on Sunday morning.    So most Sundays they get this for credit...

Free reading:  (usually) 1 hour

Educational computer games: 30 minutes

Junior Bible Quiz practice: (sunday school) 45 minutes

Children's church: 1 hr 30 mins.

The above hours get recorded as 1 hour of core (reading) and 2 hrs 15 mins of non-core subjects (bible and computer).

Added to this can be if we do anything fun/educational that I can call a field trip or activity.   So, they get a little over 3 hrs in just on Sundays.

Wednesdays are a light core day for us. Instead, we work on social skills and on emotional/mental skills & issues. Today has been a heavy math day, though. The local grocery store does stickers for kids like the old green stamps. The 10yo doesn't collect them for himself; he helps the 20mo collect them. Today, he had to add up her points for me - 303 points worth. We did columns of 6 numbers each, ranging from 1 to 50 points each sticker. Then he had to add up the sums of the columns to get the total points.

Homeschooling Moms