Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
OakesMama
In relation to the religion + homeschool post
April 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM

There is something I have always wondered. I understand why different religions would homeschool, that makes perfect sense to me, you want your children raised in your beliefs not someone elses. My question is, if you are secular, what is your drive to homeschool? I think it is awesome that you do, I am just wondering what was it that pulled you to homeschooling over public schooling? It is something I have wondered for years, and seeing their are secular homeschoolers here I figured this would be a perfect oppertunity to find out why. Please no one take offence as I am truly curious and have not been able to come up with any other idea then to spend more time with your babies...

Replies

• Pukalani79
    April 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I'm not a secular homeschooler, but religion is not why I homeschool.  I homeschool primarily because of health struggles and bullying. 

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    April 24, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I am a Christian and teach my kids with a Christian perspective but I actually homeschool because I don't agree with how the PS systems teaches or conducts itself on guiding the kids. 

• SusanTheWriter
    April 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    I am a Christian, but lean secular in our schooling. We do not hs for religious reasons at all, but because it's the best environment for one of our children at this time.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
    We homeschool for many reasons one of them is that the public schools are not educating they are indoctrinating, I want my children to think for themselves not as a collective.
  • bluerooffarm
    April 24, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We basically attatchment parent our boys.  We BF, co-slept, babywear.  Why would I have that much invested into my children and then at age five say, okay go to school and spend 9 hours per day away from me.  We sent my oldest, his bus picked him up at 7:20 in the morning and dropped him off at 4:15 in the afternoon.  Yikes!

I wanted my children to have goals, work hard, and acheive those goals, but the PS only sets the goal of the minimum to pass the test.  When my son passed the DIBELS test at the beginning of 1st grade, I asked what his goal was for the end of the year, his teacher said it was the passing level of the test.  So in other words it was 10WPM less than what he was already acheiving.  It was ridiculous.  So I gut checked and realized that I was the person best suited to help my sons set their goals and acheive them.

Wanting the best for your child isn't limited to the religious.

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    April 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I'm Catholic but religion is just a bonus for why we homeschool. My main reason for homeschool is while we take away P.E. and other fun classes from kids, and cut recess times, then label more and more kids ADHD and other disorders just for acting like KIDS with NO outlet for their energy!! Here in FL they have cut times for everything including reason and focus their whole year on FCAT (standardized test). See the other post about FCAT and see how bad its gotten here. My kids are energetic and my oldest DD needs a lot of one on one to keep her on task. I did not want to send her to school and have her labeled as ADHD or something just for being a kid. 

• mommy2kaelynn
    April 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We fully expected to send our daughter to ps, wishing we could afford private school, but in our area, it costs as much as a year of college, so we assumed since the public schools here are some of the best in the nation, she wold be fine. But my then 5 year old, who had LOVED preschool so much that she begged to go even on holidays and days off, was coming home crying, saying she was a bad kid and didn't want to be, I was told by the teacher that she took too long in the bathroom (WHAT?????) she was having nightmares every night. It was horrible, and the school wouldn't work with us to change teachers, so we pulled her out after the first week and a half. 

I was an early elementary Ed major with a dual in Child Psychology in college, so I figured I would just start to put that double degree to work after 15+ years!!!!

she is doing amazingly well! 1st grade math, science, history, art, social studies. She is still struggling trying to begin reading, but had a speech delay, so we expected that to take longer.

we are homeschooling, because it is best for her, she will learn more, at her pace, and we don't need to fight with the ps system!!!!

• luvemboth
    April 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    Although our beliefs will reflect in our homeschooling, the reason we chose to homeschool was to push dd further. She's very bright and she was starting to regress and "play dumb" just to try to get attention from the teacher.

I went in to the school to see if there was any kind of program, class, etc that could help challenge her. Their response was, "well no, but just be thankful she's not struggling."
    That's just 1 of MANY reasons I don't like our school district.
  • celticdragon77
    April 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Academics! Isn't that the purpose of education? 

My 4th grader / 10yr old - 

Is reading a year and a half behind in school

He is not allowed to take science or social studies this year due to it

I was NOT informed of the above mentioned

He is not taught grammar, spelling or vocab because they do it "naturally" be reading and writing - yet his skills severely lack in all those areas. 

I was told he was advanced in math because he "grasps new math concept ideas extremely easy and quickly". The school uses a spiral method and he was already introduced to geometry and algebra concepts. However, when I tested him, he had NOT "mastered" any skill! He made common basic subtraction mistakes repeatedly (not borrowing and such). He did not know his multiplication facts (and used addition tricks - as taught by the school - to figure out the answers). He also did poorly with division. 

I want my son to learn more than what the public school offers and use better techniques. 

This school is ranked as one of the best, is in a rich area, but they do whatever they want. They are not open to working with me or keeping me informed.

My daughter (3rd grader) is having all the same exact issues as my son. Poor English skills, a year and a half behind in reading, told she excels in math when in fact she hasn't mastered any of the skills. The only difference being that she has science and social studies this year - but will denied these subjects next year for the same reason as her brother.. 

• Mandallyn
    April 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I'm non-religious, and I homeschool for a myriad of reasons.  My son is very energetic and has a hard time focusing.  He is amazingly bright, but in a class of 20 children he would fall behind quickly.  He needs help understanding new concepts, but once he understands it, he can fly through it.  His LA skills are lacking considerably, and although he's technically ahead now, he would never have gotten through K and would have been working on it at home with me as well.  I don't agree with the load that young students are given, I don't think that much work is required of a student to learn a new concept.  

We are unorthadox in a most unique way.  I don't want my children being teased or bullied because of siblings and actions out of their control.  Children can be cruel and I don't want mine to feel like their classmates define them or their family.  I also want my children to be able to think critically, and I want their education to be more meaningful than memorization for tests.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN