Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
leighp1
OMG, just read this article! You won't believe it!
by leighp1
April 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM

This is another good reason why I keep homeschooling.

This article came from The Ledger

Upset by FCAT Rules? The Ledger Wants to Hear From You

Published: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 at 11:53 a.m.

The writer of a letter to the editor Tuesday raised an interesting complaint about how the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test is administered. In an emergency situation – fire, tornado, etc. - teachers are instructed to secure the tests first before taking action to protect themselves or students.

We’ve previously heard many complaints about FCAT rules that teachers said seemed silly or even counterproductive.

Now, we’re giving you a chance to sound off. If you are a teacher, administrator or other person who went through training and administered the FCAT during the past two weeks, let us know about any rules you found aggravating, pointless or worse.

Please, limit your complaints to the rules and regulations involved in giving the tests, not other problems you see with the FCAT or with personnel. We will withhold your identity. We will work to verify that the rules complained about are accurately described.

Contact reporter Jeremy Maready at Jeremy.maready@theledger.com or 863-802-7592 by noon Thursday.

Really?  The tests are more important than that of a child?  I would hope this is something that has been taken out of context, but I bet it isn't.  I know those stupid tests are like gold to them.  So glad my youngest doesn't have to deal with that any more.  Thank goodness my older dd doesn't have to take the FCAT in her Junior and Senior years.

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    Wow test papers having more value then human life, this is unbelievable.
  • Maridel
    by Maridel
    April 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

blah, FCAT is getting out of control here in FL. One of my biggest reasons for homeschooling. When I was in school you had to pass FCAT in 3rd, 8th and 10th grade. Now apparently you have to pass in 3rd 4th and 5th grade just to move on to the next grade! And its the ONLY factor in what grade the school gets as a whole!! Ridiculous. 

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    April 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Totally and completely agree with you.  They rely so much on the FCAT and the kids are actually scared because the teachers have basically told them that if they don't pass the FCAT, they will fail the grade.  I always told my kids (one is homeschooled now so we don't have to worry about it), if you fail by some way, I will fight them.  My one dd had straight A's and was scared she would fail.  She never did, in fact they test really high on the FCAT (top 5% one year) but they still worry. 

So glad we don't do that any more with my youngest.  They beg me to let her come to their school and test because they are almost guaranteed a 5 out of her, but nope, I have her evaluated now.  They probably should have helped us when we needed it, maybe I wouldn't LOVE homeschooling so much.  LOL

Quoting Maridel:

blah, FCAT is getting out of control here in FL. One of my biggest reasons for homeschooling. When I was in school you had to pass FCAT in 3rd, 8th and 10th grade. Now apparently you have to pass in 3rd 4th and 5th grade just to move on to the next grade! And its the ONLY factor in what grade the school gets as a whole!! Ridiculous. 

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts