Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
brennan5882300
autism reading comprehension strategies?
April 23, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My 11 yr old is PDD-NOS.  His reading comprehension is somewhere between 1st-2nd grade level, but he can decode like a 10th grader. 

Has anyone had gains with a particular curriculum or have any tips on this?

Thanks!

Replies

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 23, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Let me give you a bump! We have lots of ladies that are experienced with those types of issues. 8)
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

What I did with my High Functioning Autistic son when it came to improving his reading was to let him read what he wanted to read. After about 3 month's of him reading nothing but Garfield comic books I realized I needed to broadenhis horizon so I got graphic novels that where classic books like The Hunchback of  Notre Dame & A Tale of Two City's along with Graphic Novels of history & the Universe. He devoured those books, so I then went a step farther & started getting books like Percy Jackson & other new fantasy type books & he devoured those too. In 2 years he went from reading at a 4TH grade level to a 12TH grade level all because I gave him books that held his interest. You could do this with any reading material like gaming magazines (those things have great information & are not dumbed down like you might think). I hope this helps! 

• collinsmommy0
    April 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    When I taught a class with kids with HFA, aspergers, ADHD, etc, I found that graphic organizers helped a ton. We filled them in together as we read then they could look back for clarifying or remembering the story. I used a variety - story maps, cause/effect charts, inferencing charts, main idea & detail pages.

This will sound funny but they always did better with the premade graphic organizers as opposed to writing on notebook paper. I just bought a book of graphic organizers for upper graders & copied those pages, then used them with the appropriate book.
  • celticdragon77
    April 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM

How did you have him tested to know that? 

• brennan5882300
    April 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Thank you!  :)

Quoting mem82:

Let me give you a bump! We have lots of ladies that are experienced with those types of issues. 8)

• brennan5882300
    April 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

This is extremely helpful!  I didn't even realize there are graphic versions of classics!  Thanks!!!  Plus it helps to start out on his favorites--I have a tendency to gear things towards my interests lol!  Thank you!

Quoting usmom3:

What I did with my High Functioning Autistic son when it came to improving his reading was to let him read what he wanted to read. After about 3 month's of him reading nothing but Garfield comic books I realized I needed to broadenhis horizon so I got graphic novels that where classic books like The Hunchback of  Notre Dame & A Tale of Two City's along with Graphic Novels of history & the Universe. He devoured those books, so I then went a step farther & started getting books like Percy Jackson & other new fantasy type books & he devoured those too. In 2 years he went from reading at a 4TH grade level to a 12TH grade level all because I gave him books that held his interest. You could do this with any reading material like gaming magazines (those things have great information & are not dumbed down like you might think). I hope this helps! 

• brennan5882300
    April 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Awesome idea!  I think I would benefit from the graphic organizers too!  :)  Thanks!

Quoting collinsmommy0:

When I taught a class with kids with HFA, aspergers, ADHD, etc, I found that graphic organizers helped a ton. We filled them in together as we read then they could look back for clarifying or remembering the story. I used a variety - story maps, cause/effect charts, inferencing charts, main idea & detail pages.

This will sound funny but they always did better with the premade graphic organizers as opposed to writing on notebook paper. I just bought a book of graphic organizers for upper graders & copied those pages, then used them with the appropriate book.

• brennan5882300
    April 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM

He was evaluated by a developmental optometrist for vision therapy (www.covd.org).  They tested many things--it took about 2.5-3 hours. 

I'm too surprised with the results.  He's amazed his teachers since preschool at his reading ability.  I think that's why his comprehension issues went pretty much undetected until 4th grade.  Plus he struggles with expressive language so that was more the focus.

Quoting celticdragon77:

How did you have him tested to know that? 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    Our library has a large selection of the graphic novels. Something else I did was I got books like Harry Potter that he was interested in but intimidated by the size of as audio books & the actual book & had him listen to the audio book while he fallowed along in the book (this helped him with knowing how a word is supposed to sound without the stress of sounding it out). I would also get the book of any TV show or movie he liked, for example his favorite Christmas movie is The Christmas Carol so I got the book for him to read & now he loves that book more then the movie.

Quoting brennan5882300:

This is extremely helpful!  I didn't even realize there are graphic versions of classics!  Thanks!!!  Plus it helps to start out on his favorites--I have a tendency to gear things towards my interests lol!  Thank you!

Quoting usmom3:

• brennan5882300
    April 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Wow that's another great idea--to read along with the audio.  We have an amazing library so I'm sure this will be a great option for us.  Thanks so much!!!

Quoting usmom3:

Our library has a large selection of the graphic novels. Something else I did was I got books like Harry Potter that he was interested in but intimidated by the size of as audio books & the actual book & had him listen to the audio book while he fallowed along in the book (this helped him with knowing how a word is supposed to sound without the stress of sounding it out). I would also get the book of any TV show or movie he liked, for example his favorite Christmas movie is The Christmas Carol so I got the book for him to read & now he loves that book more then the movie.

Quoting brennan5882300:

Quoting usmom3:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN