Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mommytobooger
Middle school aged activities
April 21, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I am looking for some middle school aged activities. Something that would be good for an ongoing meet. I want to start a homeschool meet for my sister to help her out. I wanted it to be a surprise, anyway, my son is in second grade so I have no clue what that age group is into. I was thinking of a book meet or book club but that's as much as I came up with!
I appreciate the help.
Thank you!

Replies

• Precious333
    April 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    My kids arent thar age yet, but my sister us.
    I teach a photography class for jr high/highschool and they love going out to take pictures. Another group i know has done something like a flash mob. You can put together some sort of outreach program to help your community. Something based on a subject, like a science day, art day, or something like that. Gl :)
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

A book club is a great Idea, you could also do a video club or music club, they could watch old movies or listen to old music & talk about the periods of time that they are from or about. There is great history to be learned in old movies & especially in music.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM

what about music, jammin together?

sewing

shop type thing- making things

poetry class

gym class

history class

science class

cooking class

drama class

spanish or different lang class

• KrissyKC
    April 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My daughter loves the book club our local library does.   The class is decent sized and has both boys and girls in it (4th-6th grade)... some homeschool like us and some don't.   There ARE a few more girls than boys, but there is still a decent group of boys.

They pick a book each month, then meet and discuss it and do a project/game and that's it. 

Legos are a hit, especially if you can get your hands on some of the lego robotics stuff.    Clay sculpting and painting is fun, but messy if you have a good place to do it.

Outdoor party type games (especially if you can do messy/wet stuff) are cool with preteens...

Preteens like to be "grown up" but they also like to be messy and silly.

• KrissyKC
    April 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Oh, and your local big grocery chains will sometimes offer field trips like to see how they run a bakery, the meat deli, etc... and they include things like cookie decorating or something sometimes.

You could just start a field trip/activity club and mix up what they do.

The library might have a spare room you can start doing some meetings in, or meet up at a larger Mcd's or somethign that has a play area.   Preteens can hang out pretty much anywhere.  If you have a place that has bouncers or tunnels, you could talk to them about a special homeschool day and get the kids in half price or something if it's a day of the week they are the slowest.

• mommytobooger
    May 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Awesome ladies thank you!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts