Homeschooling Moms

Maridel
Had to take a major chill pill!!
by Maridel
April 18, 2013 at 9:39 PM

The other day I had a fit and did whole "I can't do this anymore" and told my DD I was going to put her in school and the others in daycare and go get a full time job blah blah etc. I have been sooo stressed and overwhelmed. My 8 month old son is not a good sleeper, I mean he will nap 15 minutes and be up again and extremely whiny and overtired in less than 30 minutes. I wasn't getting much work done with my first grader and my 3 year old is just stuck in the middle of it all with anxiety issues, whiny, and still having potty accidents. Anyway sorry long story short! I was stressing because I was trying to get my DD into a good routine of doing her school work before lunch, and I fetl that I was teaching her the opposite, that school work wasn't important, and we weren't getting anything done. THEN I TOOK MY CHILL PILL! no not literally, but once I calmed down (had to go for a drive so the baby would fall asleep in the car), I prayed and thought and cooled off and reminded myself of all the reasons we homeschool. Reminded myself DD is not behind, she learns everyday no matter wether we sit and do her schoolwork or not. Then I came on cafemom where I can read posts and get more reminders of why we do what we do. So thanks for the posts, and thanks for letting me vent. I've decided to unschool til the fall and see where we fit. I figure by fall the baby will be 1 and hopefully sleeping better or less whiny and I will know if we need to finsih her first grade curriculum or if I can go ahead and start her with second grade. Or maybe I'll be so in love with unschooling I won't order curriculum at all! (I doubt that I lack creativity big time and I need a some kind of guide). But I'm so thankful for this group.

Replies

• CaitsCookies
    April 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM
    The library is a WONDERFUL place, especially when you're unschooling. So is the internet, which reminds me that I need to pull up info on Amelia Earhart for Malcome. We watched Night at the Museum, and now he wants to learn about the "characters" from the movie.
  • usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I think that is a great idea, take some time & just do things that are enjoyable & you all are interested in. Also remember not to sweat the small stuff (I know this is a hard one to do) but it is important to remember that they are only at their age & stage they are at right now & will never be there again.

• debramommyof4
    April 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

We take days off like this sometimes.  I have been known to just find one thing educationally that they can do on thier own when I am stressing so much.  A plus in our family is even my 3 year old will watch a documentary.  My 7 year old given a choice will pick a documentary to watch every time.  Have fun with the unschooling!

• celticdragon77
    April 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Did I miss one of the kids ages? You have three kids right? A 8mth old and a 3yr old. Oh, at the end, a first grader. So you have a 8mth old baby, a 3yr old, and like a 6yr old. GOOD LUCK!!! And many hugs. I feel for you. I had new born baby, a 2yr old, and a 8yr old. I wasn't homeschooling at the time, and it still was enough to bring me to my knees. 

• KrissyKC
    April 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Yes, we have our days constantly this year....  I have a 10 month old, 5 yr old, almost 9 yr old, and 11 yr old...

My 11 yr old is now a "woman" and with all those raging hormones that come with it.

My almost 9 yr old is a boy, and he's very sweet inside, but for example, today he took a magnetic doll and ripped it into shreds just because he could.   Then promptly called it an accident.

((also, earlier today they both acted up so much in the store, which is not like them, that they got a dicipline at home when I finally turned around 30 seconds after the last correction to find them actually kicking one another!))

My JUST turned 5 year old has been having so many ear infections is affecting her hearing on and off, and when her hearing is good even she has learned to ignore me and pretend she can't hear.   She is also seriously hyper and can climb every wall in the house inside of 15 seconds flat.

My 10 month old is easy going, but he's 10 months old... he doesn't like to be held down anymore...

Good grief... we have more bad days than good...  but they are still learning more than what they would in public school.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Did I miss one of the kids ages? You have three kids right? A 8mth old and a 3yr old. Oh, at the end, a first grader. So you have a 8mth old baby, a 3yr old, and like a 6yr old. GOOD LUCK!!! And many hugs. I feel for you. I had new born baby, a 2yr old, and a 8yr old. I wasn't homeschooling at the time, and it still was enough to bring me to my knees. 

• LadeeBellaDonna
    April 19, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Oh my... you sound like me! I have a just turned 12 yo girl (oh boy all the emotions and hormones!), a 9 yo girl (pretty easy going, but has her moments... big moments), a 5 yo girl (who is also super hyper, can't sit still for anything and has selective hearing!), and a 19 mo boy (good loving boy but can be a real handful). I also have a 5 yo step daughter but she doesn't live with us.

I know those days :(

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes, we have our days constantly this year....  I have a 10 month old, 5 yr old, almost 9 yr old, and 11 yr old...

My 11 yr old is now a "woman" and with all those raging hormones that come with it.

My almost 9 yr old is a boy, and he's very sweet inside, but for example, today he took a magnetic doll and ripped it into shreds just because he could.   Then promptly called it an accident.

((also, earlier today they both acted up so much in the store, which is not like them, that they got a dicipline at home when I finally turned around 30 seconds after the last correction to find them actually kicking one another!))

My JUST turned 5 year old has been having so many ear infections is affecting her hearing on and off, and when her hearing is good even she has learned to ignore me and pretend she can't hear.   She is also seriously hyper and can climb every wall in the house inside of 15 seconds flat.

My 10 month old is easy going, but he's 10 months old... he doesn't like to be held down anymore...

Good grief... we have more bad days than good...  but they are still learning more than what they would in public school.

Quoting celticdragon77:

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    This was me, last year. My 20m dd still doesn't sleep through the night. Ugh Then I have a 3yo, 8yo, and 11yo. I cried a lot last year.
  • oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

love your post maridel!!!! yea!!!

• motheroffour186
    April 19, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    For my younger two i used
    www.haveteaching.com
    Damand.com
    Yeah and the library.
  • tuffymama
    April 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    Whew! You do have a lot to stress over. I'm glad you're going to stick with homeschooling. I've done it both ways and for me, the trouble of public school was more stressful than this.

Just in case your stress level has weakened your adrenals or weakens adrenals have added to your stress, try this 30 second test. All you need is a flashlight and a dark room with a mirror (bathroom!). It's the iris contraction test here, but you can find it on YouTube as the adrenal pupil test: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=117152
    It's the reaction of "I am sending you all to school," that rings a hell with me. That is so like something I would have said before I started treating my adrenals.

Homeschooling Moms