Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
bluerooffarm
Earth Day is coming up....
April 18, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 18, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Personally, we are getting our frog spawn on Saturday and making a worm habitat on Monday.  We've been reading all about Frogs and how pesticides, etc are killing these delicate creatures off.

We are also going to an Earth Day fair on Sunday.  DH is putting up a solar power display.

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

We are going to try to plant a garden if this crazy weather ever decides to be spring & not winter or summer. We had a high of 92 yesterday & today we only got to 53 & we have a freeze warning in effect for tonight.

• bluerooffarm
    April 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Quoting usmom3:

We are going to try to plant a garden if this crazy weather ever decides to be spring & not winter or summer. We had a high of 92 yesterday & today we only got to 53 & we have a freeze warning in effect for tonight.

It's the same here.  Today it's 81 but 3 days ago we woke up to snow!  Blah!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 18, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

It's the same here.  Today it's 81 but 3 days ago we woke up to snow!  Blah!

Yeah a few weeks back we had 90+ temps & where under blizzard warning & in less then 10 hours it was snowing & below freezing.

• Maridel
    by Maridel
    April 18, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Didnt' have any plans yet but thanks fo the links! I'll be making some plans now! lol :)

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I am meeting with a friend and her son to plan our robotic history of Japan together.  Not very earthy.  I am ordering 150 chickens and I already planted my small garden.  Our chickens make excellent natural fertilizer.  I will also be selling chickens locally as well to people who will be raising their own.

• tuffymama
    April 20, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    Our lifestyle is almost entirely organic, so every day is Earth Day here ;0) Our big, obvious project this coming week will be transferring our tomato plants into our planter box. We continue to study our sparrow family whose eggs hatched last week. Mama built her nest in the eaves of our back porch, where I hung a basket. (Last year, I stuck a straw purse up there for the nest and my friend was so taken with the idea that when the cold weather hit, I took down the purse and mailed it to her, nest and all. She has it hanging on her back porch [she lives on the beach at Destin], with dried grasses and little flowers stuck in it.) We have a pond right across the street from our house and the edges were teeming with tadpoles recently. We can hear the frogs chirping every night, and as we drove home the other day, a hawk flew right across our path in front of the windshield with a giant croaker stuck in his beak. That gave us a (sickening) topic of discussion for a good twenty minutes. We recycle everything we can and buy with little or no packaging. We collect rain water for our plants and my dad has a well, so we've already started the water conservation discussion. We just helped my dad set out some new saplings on his property, and we learned about the red cockaded woodpeckers that live in the woods down by the creek on the backside of the acreage. We shop local as much as possible and make infrequent shopping trips. We clean with safe, homemade household cleaners, and we feed our dogs a clean, homemade diet.

The one concession I make to the mainstream lifestyle with any regularity is my air conditioner. That baby rocks ten months out of the year! With adrenal fatigue, I've had heat sensitivity all my life, and I only recently started sweating like a normal person. Get overheated and don't sweat, and you will see what I mean! LOL. But I really try to live my life in such a manner that I feel like I'm making up for it, just a little. Oh, and I guess our ever-growing books collection does waste trees. We support reforestation efforts in our region (with donations) and we buy a lot of used books, so hopefully that helps balance it out? AC and books. Those are my life luxuries. ;0)
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    April 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM

No, not specifically, but we did just start a unit on Botany.

• bluerooffarm
    April 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    Quoting jen2150:

I am meeting with a friend and her son to plan our robotic history of Japan together.  Not very earthy.  I am ordering 150 chickens and I already planted my small garden.  Our chickens make excellent natural fertilizer.  I will also be selling chickens locally as well to people who will be raising their own.

Very cool chicken business! We have been selling our baby goats this year. It makes the boys sad, but they would rather sell them than eat them. At this point the herd would start to get inbred if we kept them and we are getting a bit too many for our fencing! LOL
  • bluerooffarm
    April 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting tuffymama:

Our lifestyle is almost entirely organic, so every day is Earth Day here ;0) Our big, obvious project this coming week will be transferring our tomato plants into our planter box. We continue to study our sparrow family whose eggs hatched last week. Mama built her nest in the eaves of our back porch, where I hung a basket. (Last year, I stuck a straw purse up there for the nest and my friend was so taken with the idea that when the cold weather hit, I took down the purse and mailed it to her, nest and all. She has it hanging on her back porch [she lives on the beach at Destin], with dried grasses and little flowers stuck in it.) We have a pond right across the street from our house and the edges were teeming with tadpoles recently. We can hear the frogs chirping every night, and as we drove home the other day, a hawk flew right across our path in front of the windshield with a giant croaker stuck in his beak. That gave us a (sickening) topic of discussion for a good twenty minutes. We recycle everything we can and buy with little or no packaging. We collect rain water for our plants and my dad has a well, so we've already started the water conservation discussion. We just helped my dad set out some new saplings on his property, and we learned about the red cockaded woodpeckers that live in the woods down by the creek on the backside of the acreage. We shop local as much as possible and make infrequent shopping trips. We clean with safe, homemade household cleaners, and we feed our dogs a clean, homemade diet.

The one concession I make to the mainstream lifestyle with any regularity is my air conditioner. That baby rocks ten months out of the year! With adrenal fatigue, I've had heat sensitivity all my life, and I only recently started sweating like a normal person. Get overheated and don't sweat, and you will see what I mean! LOL. But I really try to live my life in such a manner that I feel like I'm making up for it, just a little. Oh, and I guess our ever-growing books collection does waste trees. We support reforestation efforts in our region (with donations) and we buy a lot of used books, so hopefully that helps balance it out? AC and books. Those are my life luxuries. ;0)

Your household sounds a lot like mine.  We are in a much colder climate I would guess.  Our frogs just spawned a little while ago.  The pheobes (cute little gray birds) just started building their nest on our top log end (we have a log house).  We have a cistern for our household water, so we discuss water conservation every time we run out!  LOL!  (usually every September)  We make our own cleansers as well, shop local, and plant a huge garden every year as well. 

We also have the book bug, but we have no local library.  So we started lending our books out to the neighborhood.  Our only rule is DO NOT DOGEAR the pages!!  We have over a thousand!  So the neighbors really love it.

Our house is cooled in the summer by our cold room.  There is a fan that we use at night to blow the cool air up through the house.  In the winter it stores our apples, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, butternuts, etc and our cheeses while they age, and our meats while they cure.  In the summer it sits around 60 degrees and in the winter around 40.

We have chickens and goats and we hunt and fish to supply our meat, milk and eggs.  And we are planning on a pig and some turkeys this year (hopefully).  The boys learned woodworking by building birdhouses out of reclaimed lumber.  They put them up and down the powerlines in the state gamelands (yes we got permission).  We are also slowly putting in an orchard.  So we've talked about food distance, growing sustainably, good and bad germs, and all kind of other stuff.  Which is why we go to the Earth day fair.  Hubby gets to talk (and sell) solar and we get to see the other stuff.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts