Homeschooling Moms

jhana0304
do i need curriculum for 5 yearsold? starting to homeschool this year
April 17, 2013 at 2:20 PM

hello ladies! i really need your help i am about to explode with the information i read some suggests curriculum some dont..My daughter will turn 5 this year and WI state states its prerequisite that she will be enrolled in kindergarten first..I hope there is WI ladies here who i can contact to for support..Do I need curriculum or not?Any WI mom you can pm me if you care to share how you got started from this homeschool journey...Many thanks to you..Godbless!

Replies

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

We have a post at the top of the forum that has all the laws for all the states Here is the link to it 

I read some of it & it looks like you don't have to comply with it until your child is 6 years old.

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 17, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I'm not in Wisconsin but here is a bump. 8)

• amandae21
    April 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The short answer, no.

This might be helpful to you:

http://homeschooling-wpa.org/getting-started/

Looks like a pretty easy state to homeschool in.

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Curriculum:  It depends on your child's learning style, and if you feel comfortable enough to create your own.   Following is an article concerning grade level requirements for Kindergarten and other grades.  Grade Level Requirements.  

If you decide to use curriculum for some subjects,  I recommend curriculum created by homeschoolers.  They understand that home school is not the classroom.  

Wisconsin State Laws.

• lifesadream83
    April 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM

There are so many things you could do at this age  It is mostly up to you and how confident you feel in your abilities.  If you have the time and you don't mind making up curriculum as you go then you can do that.  If you want something that is already put together then try some and see what works for you guys.  At 5 you don't need a curriculum.  I am a bit OCD so I have curriculum LOL.  You just need to work on Phonics, colors, shapes numbers etc at this age.  I started homeschooling dd for second grade and I now have a 4 month old as well.  I am sooooo strange that I have already began aquiring curriculum for her!  

My plan for K for her is:

Math In Focus K

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading & Bob books

Peak with Books Curriculum

Child's Play Science w/corresponding literature or activities

Artistic Pursuits PreK 

I am not sure about your state I would check the HSLDA website. 

• jhana0304
    April 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    thanks usmom for the link this is helpful..
  • jhana0304
    April 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Quoting lifesadream83:

There are so many things you could do at this age  It is mostly up to you and how confident you feel in your abilities.  If you have the time and you don't mind making up curriculum as you go then you can do that.  If you want something that is already put together then try some and see what works for you guys.  At 5 you don't need a curriculum.  I am a bit OCD so I have curriculum LOL.  You just need to work on Phonics, colors, shapes numbers etc at this age.  I started homeschooling dd for second grade and I now have a 4 month old as well.  I am sooooo strange that I have already began aquiring curriculum for her!  

My plan for K for her is:

Math In Focus K

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading & Bob books

Peak with Books Curriculum

Child's Play Science w/corresponding literature or activities

Artistic Pursuits PreK 

I am not sure about your state I would check the HSLDA website. 

thanks for the suggestions this will be added to my list lol...
  • debramommyof4
    April 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

If you look up brightly beaming that is a letter of the week curriculum.  Pretty much everything else can be done without a curriculum.  I am sure you can teach your child to read without one but I would be terrified to try.  Math can be as simple as letting your dd cook with you, or counting things as you walk, adding her barbie dolls.  Science can be fun cooking experiments or walking through nature and talking.  History you can go over the holidays and why we celebrate them.  Good luck.

• jhana0304
    April 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Quoting romacox:

Curriculum:  It depends on your child's learning style, and if you feel comfortable enough to create your own.   Following is an article concerning grade level requirements for Kindergarten and other grades.  Grade Level Requirements.  

If you decide to use curriculum for some subjects,  I recommend curriculum created by homeschoolers.  They understand that home school is not the classroom.  

Wisconsin State Laws.

• jhana0304
    April 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting romacox:

Wisconsin State Laws.

Many thanks to you this link is informative I bookmark your site for future references too..thanks

Homeschooling Moms