Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
k.vickery26
Won the homeschool lottery!
April 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM
We signed up for public school online so that I could get my girls out of regular public school (for soooo many reasons). Well there are apparently tons of other people doing the same thing so it went to a lottery situation & we won! I finally got all of their information in yesterday so now I feel so much better! The girls can't wait & neither can I. If this doesn't work out then I'll try homeschooling on a curriculum I pick. So stinkin' excited! Any advice on how to mentally prepare myself for them being here all the time? I'm sure that can't be super easy no matter how much you love your kids....

Replies

• bren_darlene
    April 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM

LOL,  when I first began home educating 20 years ago it was mainly for the reason that I wanted them home with me all the time.  I missed them so much when they were gone but I had not heard of home education back then.  The very week I heard of it I yanked them out and brought them home. lol   You will get used to it.  As far as the public school thing at home I never heard of that when I first began but I just picked a homeschool curriculum. I know many people don't care for it but at least you know to switch if you don't.  Good luck

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM

well k ive always had my kids home so i dont know what its like to send them to school!!!hahahaha but im sure you'lll all work it out, how old are the kids?

are they excited to learn at home?? with mom as teacher!  a lot of moms start out with an online program for the first year, then gradually start choosing a curr. they think will fit the kids, and you'll hve a whole year to look around!

congratulations on homeschooling!!

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I had my daughter in ps for K and 1st. How old are your kiddos?

• mem82
    by mem82
    April 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

PS- Welcome to home education!!

• KrissyKC
    April 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I think those E schools keep us home more, but one suggestion is to get some laptops and you can school in motels on vacation, school at mcd's while any younger ones play, etc...

You will find your outlets... yours and theirs.   But yes, there are days I crack and wish for a day or two here or there when they were in school instead of all over me!!!  LOL!   It's really hardest, though, when the baby starts his yelling and I'm trying to get all three kids doing a science project or messy craft or something.  

I have a severe noise anxiety and when he screams, I've actually had to walk away and stick my head in a pillow and count to ten...  He's just being a baby... but people with noise anxiety can have panic attacks and such with certain noises.    I have several social, emotional, and mental issues...  if I can homeschool.. I'm pretty much sure that anyone can.

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    April 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Congrats! 

• k.vickery26
    April 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    My oldest daughter is 9, my middle daughter is 7, & then I have an 18 month old daughter. I've heard a lot of people say the online school is not desirable & I'm thinking it'll only be a way to ease into real homeschool. I'm worried about picking a curriculum because they are both in advanced programs. Any suggestions on gifted curriculum?
  • amandae21
    April 17, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You'll adjust over summer break :-)

And don't be afraid to leave the house. Workbooks are highly portable.

• leighp1
    by leighp1
    April 17, 2013 at 2:55 PM

My daughter is looking into taking a few online classes next year. She wants to take photography and web design.  I am also thinking of Algebra, but that just depends.  We did the Connections Academy and it wasn't bad, but it was basically school at home.  We had to do what they told us.  Though, don't get me wrong, if they told me I had to do that again, I would in a heart beat!!!  I love having my dd here all the time.  I will admit though, one day every so often I wish I was by myself, but she is getting to the age where she is kind of off in her room or by herself. Good luck and welcome to Homeschooling!!

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 17, 2013 at 3:00 PM

You will find that you don't know your children the way you thought you did, you will find them to be even more amazing & fun to be around then you ever thought possible.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN