Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
blueyedbaker
State Test
April 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I finally got a call back form the school about the state test for both my girls. They actually said that my daughter can go in and take the test with the other kids for the 3 days or she can go in on friday and take all the parts of the tests- ELA and Math. They have always given her the state test from the past year so this is new. My daughter does not want to go in at all. I know the director won't think there is anything wrong with her coming in if I tell her that. I would like to do the narritive but I'm not sure if I can do that every year or just every other year. My daughter took the state test at the school last year for 4th grade. I read the NYHEN that was posted on here, and it just states that the narritive can only be done every other year so does that mean that she has to take the test the other years? Does anyone know of a number I can call to ask some questions?

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

hi blueye,  is this required by your homeschool law? and what state?

• blueyedbaker
    April 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    I'm in New york state. Yes some kind of test is required as far as I know from what I've read but it also states that I can do a written narrative for 4-8 everyother year but I'm not sure if the opposit years they have to take the state test. It states for annual assessment I can take my child to the PS for the state test or I can have them take one of the following: Iowa Test of Basic Skills, the California Achievement Test, the Stanford Achievement Test, the Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills, the Metropolitan Achievement Test, a State Education Department test, or another test approved by the State Education Department. It also states that I can "(2) Alternative evaluation methods. An alternative form of evaluation shall be permitted to be chosen by the parent only as follows: (i) for grades one through three a written narrative prepared by a person specified in subparagraph (iii) of this paragraph; (ii) for grades four through eight a written narrative prepared by a person specified in subparagraph (iii) of this paragraph. This alternative form of evaluation may be used no more often than every other school year for these grades;" That's from the NYHEN site. http://www.nyhen.org/regs.htm#h1 I just want all the information together so when I talk to the curriculum director later today (I talked the secretary earlier she didn't know any answers so she said the director would call back) I would like to just do the written narrative instead of the state test.
    Quoting oredeb:

hi blueye,  is this required by your homeschool law? and what state?

• luvcats406
    April 12, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I live in NYS and my daughter is in 4th grade.  I am not giving her the state tests this year.   I will do a written assessment.  I will the test next year.  I get the 100.10 instructions with my i hip.  Read page 8 question number 60.  I am going to test in  5th and 7th.  By the way, maybe you don't want to do this but I pay the money and test my girls at home.  I would say that she has to take the test this year.  I would say either 4, 6,8 or 5 and 7.  Did you contact nyhen support on the Internet?  I ask them questions all the time!  This is my understanding of the rules but this is my first year.  Maybe if you contacted them they may say something different.

• blueyedbaker
    April 12, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    She took the state test last year in 4th grade. So if she took the test last year then she'd take it next year and then 8th grade. So when the director calls me back I should be able to tell her that I don't want my daughter to take the test this year? Does she have to do anything else in place of the state test? I didn't contact NYHEN someone one here sent me the site and I just read the part about state testing.Do you have a number or something. There isn't a number on the site or email. ****How do you test at home?****
    Quoting luvcats406:

I live in NYS and my daughter is in 4th grade.  I am not giving her the state tests this year.   I will do a written assessment.  I will the test next year.  I get the 100.10 instructions with my i hip.  Read page 8 question number 60.  I am going to test in  5th and 7th.  By the way, maybe you don't want to do this but I pay the money and test my girls at home.  I would say that she has to take the test this year.  I would say either 4, 6,8 or 5 and 7.  Did you contact nyhen support on the Internet?  I ask them questions all the time!  This is my understanding of the rules but this is my first year.  Maybe if you contacted them they may say something different.

• Knightquester
    April 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Will this help?  I was thinking you might be able to call them and get more info, good luck!

http://www.nyhen.org/LocalGroups.htm

• blueyedbaker
    April 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    I got that and applied to the WNY Homeschool yahoo group, just waiting to be accepted.
    Quoting Knightquester:

Will this help?  I was thinking you might be able to call them and get more info, good luck!

http://www.nyhen.org/LocalGroups.htm

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Your State Home School Association has a list of  regional directors in New York who can advise you best on this matter.  They also publish a manual to help you keep out of trouble, and recommend joining the Home School Legal Defense Association. 

• luvcats406
    April 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

No you do not have to test this year.  It says every other year for grades 4-8.  Lucky she is not in high school.  You would have to test every year.  By the way, you can google California achievement test(the test I like to use). And it will tell you how to order it.  I know you can use others.  There are many kinds of Cat tests.  There Is CAT and CAT E.  according to nyhen, you can use either one.  The CAT E is shorter.  These tests have English and math.  The one I got was timed.  By the way, my email is luvcats31@yahoo.com.  No she does not have to do anything in place of the test.  Just do the annual assessment.  

• NYCitymomx3
    April 13, 2013 at 7:20 AM

You don't have to test this year and you certainly don't have to take any tests at the school.  If she's currently in 5th grade, you can test in 6th and 8th grades.  If you'd like to administer a test at home this year, since she'll be fresh out of school and it's what she's still used to, then she wouldn't have to take another test until 7th grade.  (I like the CAT-E, it's $25, and takes about 2 hours.  The testing company sends you everything, you send it back, they grade it, and they send you a results sheet with percentiles and stanines for each section, along with an overall percentile).

• blueyedbaker
    April 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    I talked to the school again, she said that because my daughter took the state test last year that she doesn't have to take it this year but I would have to do narritive still, I thought that they got tested every other year and that was it, I didn't think they would have to do anything the year in between is that true?
    Quoting luvcats406:

No you do not have to test this year.  It says every other year for grades 4-8.  Lucky she is not in high school.  You would have to test every year.  By the way, you can google California achievement test(the test I like to use). And it will tell you how to order it.  I know you can use others.  There are many kinds of Cat tests.  There Is CAT and CAT E.  according to nyhen, you can use either one.  The CAT E is shorter.  These tests have English and math.  The one I got was timed.  By the way, my email is luvcats31@yahoo.com.  No she does not have to do anything in place of the test.  Just do the annual assessment.  

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN