Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
leighp1
Proud mamma
by leighp1
April 12, 2013 at 10:06 AM

For the longest time my daughter hated reading.  I ended up incorporating her reading into her website designing and that worked wonders. I did not make her sit down and read a book.  That just wasn't for her and it caused her to hate it even more. So I have just let it kind of go and let her do her researching and webdesigning.  Well two days ago she asked me to buy a book a friend recommended.  I was hesitant because she doesn't like to read!!  I did it anyways.  Figured it couldn't hurt if she even just read one chapter it would be worth it.  Well for the last two days she has been reading her book without me saying anything!!!! She says she is enjoying it.  OMG!!!!! Now will it keep up?  Who knows, but for now I am doing the dancing of a proud mom.

Replies

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

ohhh leigh i remember what you've been going through with her about reading ! thats fantastic!! yea!!

• romacox
    by romacox
    April 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Congratulations.  That is unschooling.  Some mistakenly believe that unschooling means the child is on their own.  But it means the parent is in tune with the child's  interests, and provides whatever it takes. 

• debramommyof4
    April 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I am so happy for you.  My 7 year old hated reading and then we found The Magic Tree House series.  I can not keep up with her now.  Thank goodness for the library.  It is really special when they finally learn that joy of reading, especially when they hated it before.  Yay!!!

• tiredmomfor2
    April 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    That's wonderful! Hopefully it will spiral from here and she will be a reading addict. ;)
  • mem82
    by mem82
    April 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That's great!

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts