Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
jntkaylor
Should i homeschool?
April 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My daughter will be in highschool next year and she wants to be homeschooled. Ive had a lot of problems getting her to go to school. she has social anxiety, she was also bullied and just does not feel comfortable around alot of people. I barely remember high school curriculum. Ive heard its a full time job and i have to work as well i just dont know if i can do it.

Replies

• OakesMama
    April 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I would do it. Those are the reasons I dropped out of school. If she REALLY wants it she will most likely offer to take on part of your workload when it comes to her. My sister did. I was never given the option myself, there are virtual accadamy's that cover highschool and if your worried about how much you'd have to do I'd look into those because it's almost like public schooling at home. JMO Good luck 

• Silverkitty
    April 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

There are many options for homeschooling high school.  I'd look in to it and talk about it with your daughter.  Depending what she wants to do after high school, it might make that easier as well.

• Knightquester
    April 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You have many options available to you.  You could do virtual school, charter, hiring somebody to do it for you, or traditional homeschool.  At your daughters age she shouldn't need very much help and should be able to work independently versus a younger child.

With virtual schools (free) she will be schooling on her computer and have a teacher assigned to her that she can e-mail, and video chat.

There are at least two types of charter schools that I know of (free) one where your child goes to it, and one where your child is schooled at home but assigned a teacher to collect samples and report into once a month.  Most of the charter schools near me at least have a high school program where your teen can attend classes a few days a week that are taught by a teacher and then do their work from home the rest of the week.

At least where we live there are many teachers that decide not to work in the public school system and instead rent out a place where they teach (for a fee) classes to homeschoolers during the day, and there are some that also will go to your home to teach (for fee) your child.

Your daughter may very well do just fine with traditional homeschooling given the fact she's asking for this and knows if she doesn't succeed her other option may be public school, and also given the fact she's old enough now that she should know how to work well on her own.  There are loads of websites that help aide children in how to work difficult problems, most of those website lessons are given by a real professor or teacher that put the video up to aide others in that learning lesson.  You could give her the work she needs to complete the next day each night when you come home, and grade what she's done that day while you're at it.  You might have some kinks in your schedule to work out, but you have evenings, and weekends to figure things out.

It's possible to homeschool a high schooler successfully, but the only person that will be able to fully answer if you should homeschool, is you and your family.  Homeschooling is not something that works for everybody, and it's a very personal and serious decision families make when they decide to homeschool.

• angelamiles05
    April 11, 2013 at 2:11 PM

K12 sounds like a good option for you.

• celticdragon77
    April 11, 2013 at 2:40 PM

My oldest daughter is just finishing high school and moved in with her dad - he lives close to the college she is dual enrolled in. It has been so much harder than I expected. I never expected such the big void in my heart, life and our family. We all miss her deeply. I homeschooled my daughter in the middle school years and we developed such a great relationship and bond. There can be so much more of a bond between child and parents than we think - especially in those teen years. 

I have two younger kids that I homeschool. I work a ft job. It isn't always easy,  but it is VERY much worth it!!! I homeschool all year, short weeks (4days), short days (4hrs structured learning), and short lessons (30mins). We also take a week off every 3rd mth. The kids also have some unstructured time to do school more independently, they read, and do some stuff on the computer. So we complete more than enough for the required 900hrs a year that is required by law. 

There is a lot of depth a child can go into when homeschooling. There are A LOT of options for materials to use. If they need help, there are excellent resources out there. 

In the end, you have decide what is best and reasonable for everyone involved. Will she complete the work? Will You be able to have the patience, time and money? Do a lot of research and give it a lot of thought. 

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

What state are you in? Depending on your state homeschool laws & requirements you might be able to let her do independent study AKA unschooling. There is a great book called The Teenage Liberation Handbook  I think it is a great book to help you see the options outside of traditional education.

• twyliatepeka
    April 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    She sounds a lot like me when I was a teen. I wanted to be homeschooled too but my mom wouldn't let me. I would do it of it were my kid. I pulled mine out summer before she would've been in 11th grade.
  • SusanTheWriter
    April 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We started homeschooling our DD last year, part way through 9th grade due to severe depression and some anxiety. It's been worth every second. :) I have my daughter back, despite the occasional low. She talks again, she's friendly, and though she'll always be shy, she's so much more open to life now.

I always say, the academics are the easy part. Watching your kid blossom again makes it all worthwhile.

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

go for it!! give her the books a lesson plan and let her learn!  its not hard

• debramommyof4
    April 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM

You could use k12 and have her work on her own with a teacher online.  Then she would not have to go to a class and worry about bullying.  There are groups to ensure she can be with friends.  At that level it is not really homeschool but just online school. 

I am sure you could figure it out if you want to homeschool.  There are many classes available to homeschoolers also.

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN