Homeschooling Moms

mem82
How do you correct spelling?
by mem82
April 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
When the subject isn't spelling, do you make them go back and correct? Do you have them write the misspelled word so many times? I can't decide how I want to do this with Cole.

Replies

• debramommyof4
    April 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I do.  I make my kids write the words 5 times each.

• bluerooffarm
    April 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If it isn't spelling, I make them go back and fix their mistake.  Then I write it down as a record.  If I see a pattern then I make a list following the rule and make that the spelling list the following week.  Right now Zave is missing a lot of r-controlled words, so that will be his list next week.

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    April 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    I honestly don't know. Ds is a natural speller so usually if he does make a mistake I can point it out and he knows where he went wrong.
  • mem82
    by mem82
    April 11, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Ugh! My hubby is a natural speller and can do that. I can not. LOL

Quoting bmw29:

I honestly don't know. Ds is a natural speller so usually if he does make a mistake I can point it out and he knows where he went wrong.

• mem82
    by mem82

This is a good idea!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If it isn't spelling, I make them go back and fix their mistake.  Then I write it down as a record.  If I see a pattern then I make a list following the rule and make that the spelling list the following week.  Right now Zave is missing a lot of r-controlled words, so that will be his list next week.

• mem82
    by mem82

I have been tossing around this idea.

Quoting debramommyof4:

• bmw29
    by bmw29
    April 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Ds and I both are but my poor husband can't spell basic words half the time. He's a whiz in math though. I struggle with that and so does ds but this man taught himself trig without a book or a teacher. Don't ask me how because I struggle with addition on my bad days. LMAO

Quoting mem82:

Ugh! My hubby is a natural speller and can do that. I can not. LOL

Quoting bmw29:

• EcoModernMom
    April 11, 2013 at 5:02 PM

my daughter is only in kindergarten, i don't correct it in her stories. I'm letting her enjoy writing and get a feel for writing. i can read what she writes, it sounds exactly how she it looks..but i don't want to discourage her and don't correct any errors she might have..unless she asks how to spell it.

whe we work on spelling lists, i will probably do like another poster said, write the words so many times each. and incorporate those words into things.

• debramommyof4
    April 11, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My dd7 hates it, but it helps her remember most of the time.  She has been having a hard time with math words, spelling numbers, so we are doing that in math right now.  She has a photographic memory so I dont have to make her write them to many times.

Quoting mem82:

I have been tossing around this idea.

Quoting debramommyof4:

• jen2150
    by jen2150
    April 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I don't make my kids write any words.  They pick their words and then chose how to learn them.  I point a word is spelled wrong and it is up to them whether they fix it or not.  They always want to know the correct way and spell it correctly.  When kids are writing one of those worst things you can do is to make them write their  missed words.  It is really important to make writing as enjoyable as possible.  If my kids keep missing the same word then they write it on our spelling board and learn it in their own way.  

Homeschooling Moms