Homeschooling Moms

Featured Posts
mem82
How do you correct spelling?
by mem82
April 11, 2013 at 11:10 AM
When the subject isn't spelling, do you make them go back and correct? Do you have them write the misspelled word so many times? I can't decide how I want to do this with Cole.

Replies

• KrissyKC
    April 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

For me, it depends on the purpose.   What am I wanting to get out of what we are doing.  

If the goal is to produce a nicely written paper with proper grammar, punct., spelling, etc... Then yes, I actually circle it when I'm proofing their paper.    I have them correct it (look it up) themselves.

If the goal is to learn about their science topic, I just correct the word myself and pay more attention to content than spelling...  However, if it's way off, I might point it out extra.

If it's spelling words, yes... then, they def write them.

I guess I pay more attention to the point of the assignment.   I don't want to side track the learning about whatever science topic we are exploring by focusing too much on spelling and mechanics.

• amandae21
    April 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I believe that spelling is best learned outside of curriculum... in real life application. DD is starting a blog. She will use spell check. After correcting the same word a few times, she'll remember how to spell it correctly. 

• KrissyKC
    April 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I personally could agree with this, but my eldest two LOVE spelling words.   I think it's what's left over from their public school days.   They seem to enjoy doing a few things "like school"...   Just not everything.   If I don't plan a spelling curriculum they will ask me why.

Quoting amandae21:

I believe that spelling is best learned outside of curriculum... in real life application. DD is starting a blog. She will use spell check. After correcting the same word a few times, she'll remember how to spell it correctly. 

• Jinx-Troublex3
    April 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    This..

Quoting KrissyKC:

For me, it depends on the purpose.   What am I wanting to get out of what we are doing.  

If the goal is to produce a nicely written paper with proper grammar, punct., spelling, etc... Then yes, I actually circle it when I'm proofing their paper.    I have them correct it (look it up) themselves.

If the goal is to learn about their science topic, I just correct the word myself and pay more attention to content than spelling...  However, if it's way off, I might point it out extra.

If it's spelling words, yes... then, they def write them.

I guess I pay more attention to the point of the assignment.   I don't want to side track the learning about whatever science topic we are exploring by focusing too much on spelling and mechanics.

• amandae21
    April 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Oh we do spelling too... DD likes it from PS days too lol.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I personally could agree with this, but my eldest two LOVE spelling words.   I think it's what's left over from their public school days.   They seem to enjoy doing a few things "like school"...   Just not everything.   If I don't plan a spelling curriculum they will ask me why.

Quoting amandae21:

Homeschooling Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts