Homeschooling Moms

tiredmomfor2
Boys and handwriting??
April 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Do most boys struggle with legible handwriting or is it just mine?
We have went over and over proper letter form and the importance of taking our time and making it look nice. it still looks like a pencil exploded on the paper.
I realize this is the generation of electronics and some people do not even find handwriting very important. I find it very important. I am trying to find the happy balance of enough practice but not expecting too much.

This Summer I am launching project...'Write well enough so that people can read it!'
Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• bluerooffarm
    April 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Actually boys are just slower at developing the fine motor skills.  Often by the time they DO gain the ability to write legibly, they have been beat down by the system so much that they no longer think they CAN and they don't really care to anymore. 

My boys do not write legibly, I never mention it to them.  I am just waiting until they improve.  (my oldest is almost 8) They are finally starting to get there.  I can usually read Zave's at this point. 

• tiredmomfor2
    April 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Thanks for the raminder Blue. :) It is just frustrating because he can draw like you wouldn't believe.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Actually boys are just slower at developing the fine motor skills.  Often by the time they DO gain the ability to write legibly, they have been beat down by the system so much that they no longer think they CAN and they don't really care to anymore. 

My boys do not write legibly, I never mention it to them.  I am just waiting until they improve.  (my oldest is almost 8) They are finally starting to get there.  I can usually read Zave's at this point. 

• bluerooffarm
    April 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My Kinder can draw very well, I never have to ask him what it is.  But ask him to write anything other than his name...Yikes!  :-)

He'll get it some day.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Thanks for the raminder Blue. :) It is just frustrating because he can draw like you wouldn't believe.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• tiredmomfor2
    April 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM
    ok. sigh. :(
    I will make sure not to stress him out and we will continue our daily practice. Hopefully it helps soon. He will be 8 in may. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm: My Kinder can draw very well, I never have to ask him what it is.  But ask him to write anything other than his name...Yikes!  :-)
    He'll get it some day.
    Quoting tiredmomfor2:Thanks for the raminder Blue. :) It is just frustrating because he can draw like you wouldn't believe.
    Quoting bluerooffarm:

• tiredmomfor2
    April 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    OH and that should have said *reminder* lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My Kinder can draw very well, I never have to ask him what it is.  But ask him to write anything other than his name...Yikes!  :-)

He'll get it some day.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• usmom3
    by usmom3
    BJ
    April 10, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My oldest that is almost 20 has bad hand writing but is great at drawing. My motto is as long as it can be read by the person that wrote it that's good enough for me. Because lets face it the odds of you needing to write a hand written letter is becoming less & less everyday. This is not me saying that hand writing isn't important, I am just saying that given the choice almost everone chooses to type & e-mail, text, print & send or call over writing anything by hand anymore.

• mommy4lyf
    April 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Just like my son. He's perfectionist when it comes to his drawings but when he's writing it's very far from it. The OT told us that drawing has more meaning to him compared to writing.  

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

• ablessedlife
    April 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    You know your son. Is it because he really can't handle the motor skills or is he being careless?
    My Grade 2 son is so careless, and so I am constantly reminding him. I tell him what I expect ( for example, "that T should not have a tail hanging below the line." ) He can print much better when he tries a little harder. And i show him his work from last year, which was nicer than this year. Is there a sample from his own work that you could show him. Even post it on the wall and praise him. For my son, I know it is a laziness-issue because that is his personality. I do not call him lazy. I say things like, "We all have laziness in us, and we have to fight it."
  • OFIH
    by OFIH
    April 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    My sons have handwriting trouble. Ours stems from other issues (dyslexia, Autism, hypotonia). We started with some new techniques and their handwriting has improved 100% in just 2 weeks. When you find what works, it can work so well.
  • JKronrod
    April 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

It really depends on the boy.  My older two boys (and my daughter) have very bad handwriting, but my youngest has learned to write reasonably good cursive at six -- and my best friend's son had amazingly beautiful handwriting (even though he had trouble reading!)  The best thing to do, in my experience, is to do a little each day, and don't stress about it.  Ultimately, the goal is to have writing that can be read.

Homeschooling Moms