Homeschooling Moms

tiredmomfor2
Plant UNIT! aka..it's Spring! :)
April 10, 2013 at 1:01 PM
We went to Menards this morning and picked out our seeds for our plant unit we are starting next week.

we normally have a very big garden, but that is just not happening this year. so..we decided to start a 'school' garden. we are doing mostly salad fixings (lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, radishes, onions etc.) it was hard to restrain ourselves. the kids were going seed crazy! :)

They are looking forward to getting started on it. i am kind of looking forward to seeing how they do. they had a very very small plot last year and they did pretty good with it. it is about double the size of last year, but it is our only 'garden' this year. should be fun!

Anyone else gearing up for gardening season?

Replies

• skeletor1017
    April 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Oh yes :) I have some seeds starting out on our one table and the hubs and I have been putting our raised bed together and will be getting the fence put up and the soil mixed this weekend. I hope to have some seeds in the ground next week. 

• debramommyof4
    April 10, 2013 at 5:25 PM

My 6 year old planted her garden yesterday.  She has lettuce, tomatos, green beans, peas, corn, 2 kinds of peppers and I forget the rest.  I posted it somewhere else though.  She is excited.  She loves gardening. 

• Simply_Janeen
    April 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I'd love to but we live in the second story of an apartment building with really nowhere to plant. I have a coffee plant but that's it. :-(

• oredeb
    by oredeb
    April 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

oh yes, we have a bunch planted and growing (cole crops), the kids love to see them sprout up! we grow most of our own stuff from seed so they helped prepare all that, and with the planting, they like to take yard tours around the yard and video whats coming up, they get so excited when they find something, i taught them how to make a simple pea trellis, had to plant more peas so they could make one on their own, it started raining again so we havent been out for a couple days, just looking at the gardens from the upstairs porch! 

• mamamedic69
    April 10, 2013 at 7:15 PM
    We have been working on plants for a few weeks now. My girl loves it and we are working on expanding our garden this year.

We just finished building a raised garden box.
  • OakesMama
    April 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM

yes, can't plant until end of may because of our area but have been wanting to since december!

• Kat0038
    by Kat0038
    April 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My husband is usually the one that plants the garden, but he has been motivated this year, neither have I for that matter. But being spring I have been wanting to study botany and plants. So I thought we might do a flower garden this year

• bether89
    April 11, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We have already started on our plant studies.  We planted tomato, pepper, squash, and flower seeds.  We have been outside enjoying the nice weather and working on our science.

Homeschooling Moms